Show us your pet

Tarantulas are native to North Texas. I capture them in my yard and garage, so my dog doesn't kill them. I take them out to a big ranch near me, and release them. If the opportunity arises, I show them to the kids in the neighborhood before I take them out and release them. They are very handsome critters. I never felt a desire to keep any as pets.

I have to wonder, are you being serious? Cockroaches? Crickets? 15,000 spiders?

Got some pictures?

CD
Cockroaches and crickets were mainly food for the spiders. We don't get tarantulas native over here so there is a massive market for them, same with scorpions. I don't have many pics as I packed up spiders about 6 years ago but a couple of my old bits...

I'm absolutely phobic about spiders but would never kill them. I'm still trying to imagine how you could house 15000 tarantulas in one room!

A lot were spiderlings and you can stack a lot of small pots in a tray.

Tarantulas are native to North Texas. I capture them in my yard and garage, so my dog doesn't kill them. I take them out to a big ranch near me, and release them. If the opportunity arises, I show them to the kids in the neighborhood before I take them out and release them. They are very handsome critters. I never felt a desire to keep any as pets.

I have to wonder, are you being serious? Cockroaches? Crickets? 15,000 spiders?

Got some pictures?

CD

I never show venomous snakes that I relocate to anyone. That would be a death sentence for them. The only exception, which was unavoidable, was the Eastern Diamondback I moved off the road in the Keys back in the '80's.

After I get settled in a new apartment, I am thinking of getting a cat, a Siamese cat to be exact.

I understand fully that the Siamese cat is among the most aggressive and moody cats and that it requires constant attention, play and interaction to remain content and happy. But I am an old retired disabled vet and will be home often to keep the scrapper in good spirits.

I have read that the Siamese cat can be very jealous and reactive to others who take up its owner's time. This is one quirky cat, to be sure. But I figure I can tolerate a good nip every now and then to keep me attentive and providing the cat with the affection it is likely to crave.

I also understand that the Siamese cat might not like being house trained. I will have to deal with that as sternly as possible.

Has any CB member had any experience with this emotional fire-cracker of a cat? Is there more I ought to know about the Siamese cat and its behavior?

After I get settled in a new apartment, I am thinking of getting a cat, a Siamese cat to be exact.

I understand fully that the Siamese cat is among the most aggressive and moody cats and that it requires constant attention, play and interaction to remain content and happy. But I am an old retired disabled vet and will be home often to keep the scrapper in good spirits.

I have read that the Siamese cat can be very jealous and reactive to others who take up its owner's time. This is one quirky cat, to be sure. But I figure I can tolerate a good nip every now and then to keep me attentive and providing the cat with the affection it is likely to crave.

I also understand that the Siamese cat might not like being house trained. I will have to deal with that as sternly as possible.

Has any CB member had any experience with this emotional fire-cracker of a cat? Is there more I ought to know about the Siamese cat and its behavior?

I had one years ago (a female) and didn't find it very different from other cats I'd had apart from being rather more vocal. One interesting (newish) breed which might interest you is the ragdoll. They look stunning and really do have a different personality from other cats. Its almost dog like. There is one that comes into my garden and follows me about like dog. They are super affectionate.

I had one years ago (a female) and didn't find it very different from other cats I'd had apart from being rather more vocal. One interesting (newish) breed which might interest you is the ragdoll. They look stunning and really do have a different personality from other cats. Its almost dog like. There is one that comes into my garden and follows me about like dog. They are super affectionate.

Yes, I had heard that the Siamese cat is very vocal or talkative.

The rag doll, I had to look up. It seems interesting and I think I'd have to see one in the real to a have a good opinion on it.

I never show venomous snakes that I relocate to anyone. That would be a death sentence for them. The only exception, which was unavoidable, was the Eastern Diamondback I moved off the road in the Keys back in the '80's.
Fascinating! I remember hearing from my uncle who lived in Brasil, that snakes will not attack a human if not feeling threatened...it shifted my mind. I have huge respect and huge fear of them...as of other animals, etc etc...

Apparently, the previous owners of my current flat had kept a big python as a pet in the flat. I don't really understand that, in particular as they had a little child too. But as long as it did not hurt others...I suppose I just take a mental note.

I would probably petrify if I see a snake in person...are you a vet? Forgive me for asking as directly...

Back
Top Bottom