Show us your pet

When we first moved here, it was later in the year, October. Being that is rural-ish, a lot of people let their dogs free-range, and we used to (and still do) get occasional visits from area dogs.

The first dog who ever showed up was this big collie, good disposition, but I noticed his fur wasn't particularly well-groomed. Every month or so, he'd amble by, and I'd pick the leaves and burrs out of his hair, give him a quick brushing, and send him on his way.

One fine day in late Spring, Kate was outside barking, so I looked out, and there was the strangest animal I'd ever seen - looked like a giant shrew!

I went out, Shrew bounded right up to me, and I pretty quickly saw it was my old buddy the collie, shaved completely bald. Apparently, that was the owners' idea of grooming - one haircut, down to the skin, once a year.

That dog visited us many, many times over the years, always with varying amounts hair. :laugh:

On dogs with thick undercoats, like collies, if that undercoat is not brushed out regularly, it get's matted and all you can do is cut all their fur off and start over. I had a dog like that, I had to take her outside once a week in wormer months, and every two weeks in the cold months, and use a special brush to remove the excess undercoat, which could take 20-30 minutes, and produce a furball the size of a basketball.

CD

The term pig is very apt as these 2 snuffle and forage.

On dogs with thick undercoats, like collies, if that undercoat is not brushed out regularly, it get's matted and all you can do is cut all their fur off and start over. I had a dog like that, I had to take her outside once a week in wormer months, and every two weeks in the cold months, and use a special brush to remove the excess undercoat, which could take 20-30 minutes, and produce a furball the size of a basketball.

CD

We groom our cat regularly at this time of year as well as her sheading yet still she has a lot of fur....

Here is one for Lulabelle. Psychopoodle with a friend...

View attachment 77217

CD
We have a friend with are of his dogs who I'm happy for him to bring her over when he's out (delivering wood or doing the DlY that's beyond us - he's a carpenter by trade ) and his dogs are Staffordshire Bull Terrier but will just be down in the sun and let our braver chooks actually peck her! She'll not bother about them at all.

This is Igor. We acquired him from some friends who left the country.They told us he was a Labrador, but I´m not convinced. I think he´s a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (even though he never retrieves a damn thing.) Igor loves bones, but more than anything, he loves tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom