Show us your pet

Are you allowed to rub that belly or is it a trap The Velvet Curtain ?

Cube the mushroom hunter.

Here’s my squirrel story for today:

Since Kate died, the critters have free reign of the back yard, and they’ve figured out that they’re pretty safe, so they do as they please out back.

The squirrels have now started venturing to the front yard as well. I can look out and see the little sidewalk pavement we have, and have seen squirrels (and rabbits) getting more and more brave with each day.

Today, I was sat out on the porch, and there’s a little nook or corner to our porch, and it obscures the sight of anyone (or thing) coming around the corner.

I was tucked in that corner, and sure enough, here comes Slappy the Squirrel, happily bounding around the corner, nut in his mouth, right up the sidewalk.

Then he saw me, and he immediately froze, dropped his nut because he opened his mouth, turned around, made about three hops, then turned back around, scurried back for his nut, and beat all hell out of the front yard and back to the rear yard!

The look on his face was hilarious, though, a pure expression of, “Oh, shit! Busted!” :laugh:

Here’s my squirrel story for today:

Since Kate died, the critters have free reign of the back yard, and they’ve figured out that they’re pretty safe, so they do as they please out back.

The squirrels have now started venturing to the front yard as well. I can look out and see the little sidewalk pavement we have, and have seen squirrels (and rabbits) getting more and more brave with each day.

Today, I was sat out on the porch, and there’s a little nook or corner to our porch, and it obscures the sight of anyone (or thing) coming around the corner.

I was tucked in that corner, and sure enough, here comes Slappy the Squirrel, happily bounding around the corner, nut in his mouth, right up the sidewalk.

Then he saw me, and he immediately froze, dropped his nut because he opened his mouth, turned around, made about three hops, then turned back around, scurried back for his nut, and beat all hell out of the front yard and back to the rear yard!

The look on his face was hilarious, though, a pure expression of, “Oh, shit! Busted!” :laugh:
Yeah, our squirrels are not scared. Some of them are tame enough to come right up to the slider to beg, and there was one who would take peanuts out of my hand. But I don't really want to get any friendlier with them than that. Last year I had a chipmunk who ran in the house when I left the sliding door open while filling up the water in the bird bath (AKA squirrel watering trough).

Additionally, they definitely do have expressions! As do a lot of animals. We had a resident groundhog living under the porch on my son's annex of the house. I gave hubby some cayenne pepper to put around his holes near the deck several days ago. The groundhog emerged a little later and I saw him crossing the driveway with a disgruntled, salty expression. Yeah, he was pissed about the cayenne pepper! He found a new home somewhere out back, LOL.

I am a little concerned, however, because after I made Rat-tail her peanut butter sandwich (quartered) and she took one, I went into the kitchen to put away the bread and peanut butter, and when I turned around, there was a raccoon on our back deck who helped itself to one of the peanut butter sandwich wedges. Here's what's concerning: it's daylight and won't be dark for another couple hours. What in the world is a raccoon doing out during the day? In my mind, there must be something wrong with it, sick with something, perhaps rabies? Worriesome.

Last edited:
In my mind, there must be something wrong with it, sick with something, perhaps rabies? Worriesome.
I wouldn’t worry about it at all. Raccoons aren’t strictly nocturnal by any means. If they learn there’s a ready source of food out during the day…they’ll be out during the day.

I told this before, but it’s about the best animal story I have:

My brothers were all camping at the state park that’s just a couple of miles from the house, and I stopped in for a visit.

We were sitting around the campfire, early evening, having a beer and getting caught up, when a raccoon came strolling, big as life, right in between all of us, sauntered over to a cooler, unzipped it, reached in, pulled out a cold Snickers, plopped down, tore open the wrapper, and started eating the candy bar, like he was just one of the family.

😐

I also had to raccoon-proof a bird feeder, because not 10 minutes after I sunk a 4’x4’ in the ground and put a platform feeder on top, a big fat raccoon waddled over to it, went up the post, and sat her butt down and started feasting.

Back
Top Bottom