Show us your pet

I've really no Idea how big a wombat is, but if a groundhog is about 20 pounds is that about 9 kilos?

Edit: Omg i just Googled and wombats are huge!
Let's put it this way, wombats will write a vehicle off if you hit one and routinely do because they don't go over the bumper and up, they go under and cause massive damage.

They are also pretty big, solid muscle from digging.

This was taken from my landcruiser before I went in for my operation. It's the first time we've seen one with a joey this young. The extra height of my 4×4 with off road tyres and jacked up air suspension makes it look quite small, but they are not. Even the joey isn't small!

20230325_151713.jpg

The main thing we have to be careful of are deer. I see them dead along the road in East Texas on a regular basis. If you hit them right, they will go up onto the hood (bonnet) and through the windshield.

CD

I've really no Idea how big a wombat is, but if a groundhog is about 20 pounds is that about 9 kilos?

Edit: Omg i just Googled and wombats are huge!
Yeah, 88lb (40kg) is the largest figure I've seen quite l quoted for an adult wombat and about a meter long. I think the ones we get here are the smaller of the 3 species in Australia, but they are still huge.

Just to make life interesting, we've seen 3 beef cattle hit (all separately) in our local highway in 4 years. Oddly enough, they stop even the biggest of the road trains in their tracks. (I witnessed one of those hits, I just guess the driver wasn't looking for something quite that big to avoid because he never even tried to miss it (they can't swerve, but he could have tried slowing down...). Between you and I though, I thought the thing was blindingly obvious standing in the road but I guess not. :scratchhead: )

On a mobike you wouldn’t want to argue with any animal larger than a small mouse and even then only when going in a straight line 😆

One night in East Texas, on a winding road deep in the woods, I came upon a curve and what looked like water running across the road (at 70 MPH). As I got to it, it was not water, but migrating frogs!!! :eek: Thousands upon thousands of frogs.

I hit them, and slid sideways off the road. I managed to get back control without hitting anything. Got my heart pumping, for sure.

On a motorcycle, you most likely would have gone down.

CD

Cane toads kill loads of people every year in Oz when they cross roads in high numbers. Exactly the same thing, car hits toads and slides off the road.

Cane toads kill loads of people every year in Oz when they cross roads in high numbers. Exactly the same thing, car hits toads and slides off the road.

If there had been cars coming the other direction, someone might have died that night, because I slid off the opposite side of the road. That is the one and only time I've seen anything like it.

CD

One night in East Texas, on a winding road deep in the woods, I came upon a curve and what looked like water running across the road (at 70 MPH). As I got to it, it was not water, but migrating frogs!!! :eek: Thousands upon thousands of frogs.

I hit them, and slid sideways off the road. I managed to get back control without hitting anything. Got my heart pumping, for sure.

On a motorcycle, you most likely would have gone down.

CD
Yep the contact patch under a motorcycle wheel is very small so it doesn‘t take much.

WOW!! And I thought they were about the same size as a fat beaver!! 40 kgs is heavier than my labrador!
No, much bigger and solid muscle, no fat.
When you meet them out in the wild on foot you are the one that backs off slowly. They don't like being disturbed or cornered and will charge. They are very good miniature bulldozers and do frequently undermine the foundations of houses. If they want to go through a wall they do. You don't put walls or fences across their normal pathways unless you're looking for it to be destroyed very quickly. They are creatures of habit and usually solitary.

Think of them as a wild boar but about half the length and completely muscle. They're about knee height. Plus if you meet then out in broad daylight, they are invariably sick (usually mange) and even more grumpy than normal.

As for their dens and tunnels, in the last place we lived in, we found several of their dens and a small adult could have crawled into the tunnels with ease. A child would have no issues. The tunnels are well built and compacted so that the tunnel wall is like concrete and almost perfectly circular. The dens survive regular flooding (they just move to higher ground and have more than 1 den).

Back
Top Bottom