Show us your pet

I had to take Strider to the vet today for his semiannual shots and to get a lump checked out that had popped up recently. Unfortunately, the vet took a needle biopsy sample of the lump and it is a Mast cell tumor, which is cancer. It seems to be well contained but they will know more once they get in. He had blood work and a chest x-ray today in preparation for surgery. Once the results are back, we'll schedule.

On a happy note though, while I was waiting for Strider to get his tests done, a lady brought in a 5 month old black pug baby to get some flea medicine and his nails cut. He's the second black pug in the practice, Strider being the first. I got lots of pug baby kisses.

20230510_101053.jpg

Strider's blood work showed a slight elevation in a couple of proteins and a pancreatic enzyme which could indicate pancreatitis. The vet ordered a more specific test. After thinking about it a bit though, I called the vet back and asked if having a half a plain cheeseburger the day before could have caused the elevations. Answer was yes. On the rare occasions we get fast food burgers, we get the pugs a plain cheeseburger. I've noticed they more often than not make stinky smells for a day or 2 afterward, but never thought it would be bad for them. So, we are waiting for the more specialized pancreatic enzyme test even though there was a reason the other tests might be elevated.

Good news though, the chest and abdominal x-rays don't show any abnormalities big enough to see.

Back
Top Bottom