Show us your pet

Dog-sitting the notorious Red Gomer, my parents dog:

View attachment 100811
He has an impish look about him. Does your mother ever refer to him as "your brother"? Brian's mom has (and has had) dogs in the past and would baby talk to the dogs if she was leaving town and they were coming to stay with us. She would say, "Are you going to go stay wid your big brudder? Yes you are, yes you are..." LMAO.

When you don't have to constantly look for your next meal there's time to lounge.
20230603_172409.jpg

That’s actually scheduled to be mine. I don’t really want it.

I have my grandparent's grandfather clock, and my sister will get my mom's. I like mine. It's a piece of family history, for one thing.

If you are worried about it chiming, don't worry. 80-percent of the time, I don't even notice it. It chimes four times an hour, and I really go hours without hearing it (or noticing it, at least). My brain just tunes it out. It doesn't take long for your brain to adapt, either. It is right outside my bedroom in a hallway, and rarely hear/notice it in bed.

But, on many GF clocks, you can turn the chimes off. On some, you can even turn them off just at night.

CD

If you are worried about it chiming, don't worry. 80-percent of the time, I don't even notice it.
It’s not that, it’s just that I don’t have any real connection to it (though it was my maternal grandparents’).

We don’t have room for it now, and our next house will be smaller, so I don’t see that improving. I don’t even know how my name ended up on it, I don’t recall ever asking for it.

It’s not that, it’s just that I don’t have any real connection to it (though it was my maternal grandparents’).

We don’t have room for it now, and our next house will be smaller, so I don’t see that improving. I don’t even know how my name ended up on it, I don’t recall ever asking for it.

My maternal grandfather was a clockmaker/watchmaker, so we have a lot of clocks and watches. My GF clock was his. My sister has my parent's first GF clock, which is a cheap clock that will eventually be replaced by my mom's current GF clock, that is spectacular.

My grandfather bought me a cuckoo clock when I was born. I have it hanging in my house, but not running. It has to be wound every day, and I can't do that, so I just leave it hanging. It does still work.

CD

You don't have to ask.

Last time we were in the UK we ended up returning to Australia with a wall clock as well. My mother was down sizing and each kid had one. I loved the one my Grannie had, but that's gone to my brother (it would have been dedicated shipping, rather than taking home well wrapped and padded and boxed inside a suitcase on the ✈️ ). Instead I ended up with one that my mum bought because it was made in the city I was born in.

I used to have a house that was silent at night. Instead I now have a house that ticks at night (and all through the day). My mother likes to hear it ticking when I ring her every Sunday, so it gets to stay running.

We know who the top dog is in that house.

Personally I'd never let a dog do that or even be on the couch unless it asked and was invited first.

Teddy used to sometimes sneak up onto my expensive leather sofa when I was gone. I'd come home, and he'd be in the living room stretching and yawning, and I'd put my hands on the couch cushions, feel the warm one, and he would lower his head and ease out of the room. I didn't have to say a word. He knew he was busted. :laugh:

CD

My grandfather bought me a cuckoo clock when I was born. I have it hanging in my house, but not running. It has to be wound every day, and I can't do that, so I just leave it hanging. It does still work.
We have one of those as well, bought in Germany in the ‘90’s, and yeah, it works fine, but we don’t run it.

We know who the top dog is in that house.

Personally I'd never let a dog do that or even be on the couch unless it asked and was invited first.
That dog is so spoiled. In all seriousness, that was one of the early signs of Dad’s mental decline - he treated the dog like a baby, which was completely out of character for him.

Growing up, dogs weren’t even allowed in the house - they stayed outside 24/7/365. They sure didn’t sleep in the bed with him or ride in the car with him or sit right up on his shoulder, but that’s what this one did, and he’d get angry if you teased him about it.

I know I’ve told it before, but in a hasty moment, he took the dog to a shelter and turned him in, then had second thoughts and went back for him the next day, and the shelter wouldn’t give him back. Dad camped out in protest at the shelter, yelling at everyone, called his lawyer, and was calling (or had already called) the local media, who love stories like that, before they yielded and gave him back.

This from a man who would casually shoot any dog deemed a pest or a danger without a second thought.

My best Gomer story is when they went to Walmart, and my dad’s habit, all his adult life, was to sit in the car and listen to radio or nap while my mom shopped, so when they’d gotten the dog, Dad started carting it around with him and it would just hang out in the back seat.

For whatever reason, Dad thought it would be a hoot to take Gomer into Walmart and just turn him loose, just to watch the chaos, and to watch Gomer running around like a psycho - the kind of prank a 10yo would pull.

In a store that size…Gomer found my mom, and when my mom saw him, she thought something terrible had happened to Dad, and that Gomer was coming to tell her, Lassie-style, so she was in the middle of the store shouting, “WHAT IS IT, GOMER?!?! WHAT’S WRONG?!?! WHAT’S HAPPENED TO DEL?!?! IS HE HURT?!?! TELL ME, GOMER!!! TELL ME!!!”

:laugh:

I caught this one of one of my newbie chooks (they'll be called the newbies until we get other newbies! ). She's a Rhode Island Red (RIR) with the commercial sex link gene for identification of sex at hatching.

20230602_142907.jpg

20230602_142654.jpg

This one is called "buffy" because she a Buff Sussex. She was previously called Little, her sister was called Large. Only the size of their combs told them apart because they are/were both very big girls 4½kg each, but after we lost her sister, we renamed her to buff or buffy.

20230602_142543.jpg

JJ is on the left. She's a normal Rhode Island Red. She's +10 years old and is having an identity crisis (not laying, old age, mixed up hormones and no rooster, so she's even started to look like a rooster with a massive neck feathering (hackles) like a rooster and now growing quite long and black marked tail feathers. If you look closely, you'll also see she has very definite spurs and old lady's legs (thick and swollen). Those spurs need to be watched if you have to hold her.

The girl on the right is Edith, currently named scruff/scruffy or scruff pot. She's moulting superbly. She's another of the newbies and a commercial sex linked Rhode Island Red.

20230602_143005.jpg

Arya is 9 yrs of and still spritely and not one to be argued with. She also still lays once or twice a week in laying season. Her legs are really the only thing that shows her age. Arya is what's known as an Easter Egger. She's a cross between a leghorn and an aruacana.

20230602_142927.jpg

Finally this is Rock. She's one of a trio called Pebbles, Rock & Stone. They are Lavender Sussexes and they are huge. Rock is the smallest at just 4¾kg. Pebbles comes in at a massive 5½kg and has huge spurs. All 3 look almost identical, but there are minor differences, but Rock & Stone need ID bands on them to tell them apart.

20230602_142932.jpg

And this little girl is called Blueberry and periodically she and her 2 sisters need to have their head feathers trimmed so they can actually see to feed!

Back
Top Bottom