Show us your pet

I caught this one of one of my newbie chooks (they'll be called the newbies until we get other newbies! ). She's a Rhode Island Red (RIR) with the commercial sex link gene for identification of sex at hatching.

View attachment 100831

View attachment 100832
This one is called "buffy" because she a Buff Sussex. She was previously called Little, her sister was called Large. Only the size of their combs told them apart because they are/were both very big girls 4½kg each, but after we lost her sister, we renamed her to buff or buffy.

View attachment 100833

JJ is on the left. She's a normal Rhode Island Red. She's +10 years old and is having an identity crisis (not laying, old age, mixed up hormones and no rooster, so she's even started to look like a rooster with a massive neck feathering (hackles) like a rooster and now growing quite long and black marked tail feathers. If you look closely, you'll also see she has very definite spurs and old lady's legs (thick and swollen). Those spurs need to be watched if you have to hold her.

The girl on the right is Edith, currently named scruff/scruffy or scruff pot. She's moulting superbly. She's another of the newbies and a commercial sex linked Rhode Island Red.

View attachment 100834
Arya is 9 yrs of and still spritely and not one to be argued with. She also still lays once or twice a week in laying season. Her legs are really the only thing that shows her age. Arya is what's known as an Easter Egger. She's a cross between a leghorn and an aruacana.

View attachment 100835
Finally this is Rock. She's one of a trio called Pebbles, Rock & Stone. They are Lavender Sussexes and they are huge. Rock is the smallest at just 4¾kg. Pebbles comes in at a massive 5½kg and has huge spurs. All 3 look almost identical, but there are minor differences, but Rock & Stone need ID bands on them to tell them apart.

View attachment 100838
And this little girl is called Blueberry and periodically she and her 2 sisters need to have their head feathers trimmed so they can actually see to feed!
That first one cracked me up. What a personality shining through as she stares into the camera!

It’s not that, it’s just that I don’t have any real connection to it (though it was my maternal grandparents’).

We don’t have room for it now, and our next house will be smaller, so I don’t see that improving. I don’t even know how my name ended up on it, I don’t recall ever asking for it.
We had one in our house when I was growing up. I hated that thing, it was so loud. I would start to fall asleep and it would chime. Midnight was always the worst. They say children grow the most during sleep. I am 5'1" tall. I have a sister who is 5'11" who is 8 years older than I am. Apparently they didn't have that damned clock when she was little.

That first one cracked me up. What a personality shining through as she stares into the camera!
She is a very inquisitive bird and follows me everywhere, watching what's going on all of the time. If a door is open, she's in the house before you are. She's really come out of her shell since coming to us at Christmas. She's from a commercial egg farm previously along with 3 of her friends.

My OH has made her his profile picture at work on their video conferencing software as well as on FB. He often gets asked to turn on his webcam when he's at home because it's directed into the front garden and keeps his colleagues entertained during boring meetings. They call it the chook cam. And you can guarantee that if you're sitting close enough to a window that you can be seen, they chooks will turn up there, her first, to watch you. She very definitely thinks we're part of the flock.

Sam. The owner of the sofa.

A7E6A982-DBCB-4660-BCBC-C25E15BF3DCA.jpeg

A couple of months ago, I got Mindy a new light up, noise making wand as her old one died on her. She hadn't played with it in a while because she gets bored with toys and boxes to play jack in the box with the pugs after a while. She started showing interest in the wand again, but it had died; thus, the new one. It's a plastic stick with a stretchy string, with a toy mouse attached, which is the part that lights up and makes noise.

I've been playing with her for a while pretty much every night. She demanded I play with her last night by jumping up from the back of the couch (it's not against a wall) and grabbing my hand as I was rubbing my forehead. Startled me big time. Okay, I play with her for a bit, then played more later.

Around 3 o'clock this morning, I hear clackity clack, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, rinse and repeat several times coming down the hallway. Mindy then tries to jump on the bed several times, but doesn't make it. Then, she does make it and proceeds to bug me to death with meowing, patting, sticking her cold nose to me, licking, and last but not least doing her thing of lightly scratching me. I finally end up having to swat her so I can go back to sleep.

I'm assuming the failed jumps were her trying to bring the wand up onto the bed. I'm guessing if she had made it, the wand would have been dropped on my head. The wand was laying on the floor at the foot of the bed when I woke up at a decent hour.

Our clock is from my nana. Maternal nana. They never had much, granddad came home from the war. He spent 5 years in a pow camp. Presumed dead. His sister was his beneficiary. Sold the farm and blew the money.

So, a modest clock that I had over hauled. It chimes but wife doesn't like the noise. It's in the garage.

Russ

Our clock is from my nana. Maternal nana. They never had much, granddad came home from the war. He spent 5 years in a pow camp. Presumed dead. His sister was his beneficiary. Sold the farm and blew the money.

So, a modest clock that I had over hauled. It chimes but wife doesn't like the noise. It's in the garage.

Russ
I think this got posted in the wrong forum.

Back
Top Bottom