Show us your pet

What was it like?
The car that is, not Teddy's driving.

Very nice. It was an auction car I considered buying, if I could get it cheap. It was from an estate -- part of a collection of cars that I was photographing for the auction company. This car had been heavily damaged by the dead guy's wife during the divorce process. She gouged profanity into the paint all over the car. The car had been repainted, but not properly (the guy owned a Buick/GMC dealership and they did the work), and it was estimated to sell for half value. It looked fine, but no serious Ferrari connoisseur would buy it. I wanted it to drive around on nice weather weekends. Also, a friend of mine owns a proper Ferrari level paint and body shop. I figured I could have him sand it down and paint it properly, and flip it for a profit. Once buyers knew he did the paint, they'd pay a lot closer to its proper value.

It was low milage, and ran perfectly. I had a PPI done on it by a trained Ferrari tech (at the sellers expense -- that's why I had the car -- and he said it was in great working condition.

It ended up selling for more than I was willing to pay. But, I got to drive it around for a few days.

CD

Very nice. It was an auction car I considered buying, if I could get it cheap. It was from an estate -- part of a collection of cars that I was photographing for the auction company. This car had been heavily damaged by the dead guy's wife during the divorce process. She gouged profanity into the paint all over the car. The car had been repainted, but not properly (the guy owned a Buick/GMC dealership and they did the work), and it was estimated to sell for half value. It looked fine, but no serious Ferrari connoisseur would buy it. I wanted it to drive around on nice weather weekends. Also, a friend of mine owns a proper Ferrari level paint and body shop. I figured I could have him sand it down and paint it properly, and flip it for a profit. Once buyers knew he did the paint, they'd pay a lot closer to its proper value.

It was low milage, and ran perfectly. I had a PPI done on it by a trained Ferrari tech (at the sellers expense -- that's why I had the car -- and he said it was in great working condition.

It ended up selling for more than I was willing to pay. But, I got to drive it around for a few days.

CD
Not sure why but I wanted you to get more of win out of knowing those things 😆

Miss Puppy
Screenshot_20240121-124811_Gallery.jpg

No you’re not, it’s not clear 😆
Just that it was engaging and full of the type of inside knowledge that made me want an outcome where you ended up with the car!

Ah, I kinda thought maybe that's what you were trying to say, but had a brain fart while typing.

I was not the only one who knew about the paint. The auction companies don't promote that kind of stuff in their marketing materials, but they can't ethically hide it from potential buyers. They have to disclose it when they are asked about the car's history.

I originally thought the car would sell for a lot less than it sold for. I didn't even bother to register to bid, based on what I was hearing as the auction day got close. IIRC, the car ended up selling well over $80K. Add in the 10-percent buyer's premium, and the buyer paid mid 90s for it. That's about $30K more than I was willing to pay for it.

CD

Ah, I kinda thought maybe that's what you were trying to say, but had a brain fart while typing.

I was not the only one who knew about the paint. The auction companies don't promote that kind of stuff in their marketing materials, but they can't ethically hide it from potential buyers. They have to disclose it when they are asked about the car's history.

I originally thought the car would sell for a lot less than it sold for. I didn't even bother to register to bid, based on what I was hearing as the auction day got close. IIRC, the car ended up selling well over $80K. Add in the 10-percent buyer's premium, and the buyer paid mid 90s for it. That's about $30K more than I was willing to pay for it.

CD
Fair enough. It takes resolve not to get bitten in those situations, so err.. congrats on not buying the car 😆

Fair enough. It takes resolve not to get bitten in those situations, so err.. congrats on not buying the car 😆

Yeah, but I had some fun with it for a few days... and I have a great photo of my Pimp Poodle in the car. :okay: If you want to know what kind of personality PsychoPoodle had, just look at that photo. That's so Teddy.

CD

Little Miss Arwen just cost us $100 for the vet over something unexplained that righted itself almost completely by the time the vet could see her this morning. She started coughing yesterday, hacking horrible cough then gagging. By late afternoon she was having an episode about every 15-20 minutes. Craig went to bed shortly after midnight and took her hoping she would settle down and stop coughing. Nope, it got worse. He got back up and I checked her mouth to make sure she didn't have anything wrapped around her tongue, she's a scarfer and will eat just about anything, but nope, I couldn't feel anything. Ended up mixing up some honey water and gave her a benadryl. She settled down after a few minutes.

She woke us up around 6 this morning hacking and gagging again. More honey water and another Benadryl. Made some really soupy rice with chicken broth for her breakfast so it could cool. Called the vet when they opened at 8 and got an appointment since they are only open a half day on Saturday. We stayed in bed for a while longer. Finally got up, pugs went out to potty, then ate their breakfast. Arwen was coughing on and off by then, but no where near as bad as Friday and early a.m. hours of today. She gobbled her soupy rice down and settled down for her post breakfast nap with hardly any coughing.

About 30 minutes before we needed to leave we were debating about canceling since they had to work us in, but then she had another episode so off we went. She coughed once in the car and then NOT ONCE in the vet's office. He listened to her lungs and heart as best he could. It's hard to hear given how pugs breathe with their squished noses and didn't hear anything, then examined her twice at different times to see if her trachea was collapsing, that's a thing with a lot of pugs, but even that didn't initiate a coughing fit.

So, we left $100 lighter in the pocketbook with antibiotics and cough meds as preventive so she doesn't develop pneumonia or bronchitis with all the coughing and gagging, and instructions to come back if she gets worse or anything else starts. The little toot has coughed about 6 or 7 times now in almost 8 hours, and that was when she was running around excited about getting home, going potty, and getting her dinner type things.

Little Miss Arwen just cost us $100 for the vet over something unexplained that righted itself almost completely by the time the vet could see her this morning. She started coughing yesterday, hacking horrible cough then gagging. By late afternoon she was having an episode about every 15-20 minutes. Craig went to bed shortly after midnight and took her hoping she would settle down and stop coughing. Nope, it got worse. He got back up and I checked her mouth to make sure she didn't have anything wrapped around her tongue, she's a scarfer and will eat just about anything, but nope, I couldn't feel anything. Ended up mixing up some honey water and gave her a benadryl. She settled down after a few minutes.

She woke us up around 6 this morning hacking and gagging again. More honey water and another Benadryl. Made some really soupy rice with chicken broth for her breakfast so it could cool. Called the vet when they opened at 8 and got an appointment since they are only open a half day on Saturday. We stayed in bed for a while longer. Finally got up, pugs went out to potty, then ate their breakfast. Arwen was coughing on and off by then, but no where near as bad as Friday and early a.m. hours of today. She gobbled her soupy rice down and settled down for her post breakfast nap with hardly any coughing.

About 30 minutes before we needed to leave we were debating about canceling since they had to work us in, but then she had another episode so off we went. She coughed once in the car and then NOT ONCE in the vet's office. He listened to her lungs and heart as best he could. It's hard to hear given how pugs breathe with their squished noses and didn't hear anything, then examined her twice at different times to see if her trachea was collapsing, that's a thing with a lot of pugs, but even that didn't initiate a coughing fit.

So, we left $100 lighter in the pocketbook with antibiotics and cough meds as preventive so she doesn't develop pneumonia or bronchitis with all the coughing and gagging, and instructions to come back if she gets worse or anything else starts. The little toot has coughed about 6 or 7 times now in almost 8 hours, and that was when she was running around excited about getting home, going potty, and getting her dinner type things.
Well I am glad it only cost you $100 and that she's likely going to be okay!

They can be such a worry when they're not well can't they. I suppose the $100 provides a bit of comfort knowing it's offering a bit of protection. Hope she's fit as a fiddle soon.

Back
Top Bottom