Show us your pet

I never show venomous snakes that I relocate to anyone. That would be a death sentence for them. The only exception, which was unavoidable, was the Eastern Diamondback I moved off the road in the Keys back in the '80's.

Our tarantulas are not venomous. But, the average person seems to think they are.

CD

I had one years ago (a female) and didn't find it very different from other cats I'd had apart from being rather more vocal. One interesting (newish) breed which might interest you is the ragdoll. They look stunning and really do have a different personality from other cats. Its almost dog like. There is one that comes into my garden and follows me about like dog. They are super affectionate.

I generally don't like cats because the tend to be so aloof. But, I have had a couple of friends with cats that were more social, and liked to play, much like dogs like to play.

I had a girlfriend in the 80s who had a cat that would come and sit in my lap. I would pet it for a while, and then, out of nowhere, it would bite my hand (hard enough to draw blood) and run off. I wanted to kill that cat. :ninja:

CD

Good Morning Sam

Fascinating! I remember hearing from my uncle who lived in Brasil, that snakes will not attack a human if not feeling threatened...it shifted my mind. I have huge respect and huge fear of them...as of other animals, etc etc...

Apparently, the previous owners of my current flat had kept a big python as a pet in the flat. I don't really understand that, in particular as they had a little child too. But as long as it did not hurt others...I suppose I just take a mental note.

I would probably petrify if I see a snake in person...are you a vet? Forgive me for asking as directly...
No, not a vet, but have worked as an animal health tech for a vet. I have been keeping snakes most of my life. Venomous when I was younger, but mostly non-venomous. My wife and I bred emerald tree boas from 2000 to 2008, both the northern and Amazon basin (originally imported from Brasil before exportation was closed) sub species. Large constrictors have been banned from keeping, breeding and selling in Florida, including large pythons and green anacondas. There is a problem in our Everglades with breeding populations of Burmese and African rock pythons, which was created when Hurricane Andrew destroyed several importer's facilities in '92. They don't talk about the non-native venomous species that escaped as well. Responsible keepers had nothing to do with this problem.

A friend of ours keeps Black headed Bushmasters, The largest pit-viper in the world. These also originated in Brasil.

No, not a vet, but have worked as an animal health tech for a vet. I have been keeping snakes most of my life. Venomous when I was younger, but mostly non-venomous. My wife and I bred emerald tree boas from 2000 to 2008, both the northern and Amazon basin (originally imported from Brasil before exportation was closed) sub species. Large constrictors have been banned from keeping, breeding and selling in Florida, including large pythons and green anacondas. There is a problem in our Everglades with breeding populations of Burmese and African rock pythons, which was created when Hurricane Andrew destroyed several importer's facilities in '92. They don't talk about the non-native venomous species that escaped as well. Responsible keepers had nothing to do with this problem.

A friend of ours keeps Black headed Bushmasters, The largest pit-viper in the world. These also originated in Brasil.
Wow. So little we know about the problems in keeping a balanced eco system...of course not much can be done around hurricanes...but it is interesting to read that snakes sell...do they sell as pets or? What else can they be used for? I think skin is forbidden nowadays, is it not?

Thank you so much for posting!

Wow. So little we know about the problems in keeping a balanced eco system...of course not much can be done around hurricanes...but it is interesting to read that snakes sell...do they sell as pets or? What else can they be used for? I think skin is forbidden nowadays, is it not?

Thank you so much for posting!
We bred to sell. Most folks collected them and not considered them pets. Some snake species command high prices. Amazon basin emeralds sold in the thousands, based on coloration and amount of white in the color pattern. Then there are the Frankensnakes created by inbreeding. Ball pythons are among this group. Some of the genetically defective "morphs" created by this practice have sold in the $10,000 + price range. We never engaged in this practice.

Don't get me started on wildlife management issues.

We bred to sell. Most folks collected them and not considered them pets. Some snake species command high prices. Amazon basin emeralds sold in the thousands, based on coloration and amount of white in the color pattern. Then there are the Frankensnakes created by inbreeding. Ball pythons are among this group. Some of the genetically defective "morphs" created by this practice have sold in the $10,000 + price range. We never engaged in this practice.

Don't get me started on wildlife management issues.
😁😂Ok, will not get you started.

Fascinating market!

Very much like the illegal side of it all that makes me angry.

View attachment 61513

View attachment 61514

Same scorpion but first pic is under UV light. I should have cleared out the old skin before taking a pic.
Fascinating creatures.
I feel a light discomfort/fear level just by looking at the photos. But am ok now, even had a second look.
Never a pet option for me. But I do respect the effort and inclination it takes.

Back
Top Bottom