Side salads

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
8:15 AM
A sister thread to Main/starter course salads.

What do you make? My favourite are

• Tabouli
  • Sliced tomatoes and onions wiuth salt, lemon juice (or cider vinegar) and olive/rapeseed oil. Sometimes basil.
  • Green salad: mixture of leaves with spring onion and cucumber and sometimes avocado.
  • Tinned tuna, chickpeas, parsley and onion, with salt, olive/rapeseed oil and lemon juice. Sometimes a punch of chilli flakes.
  • Salsa salad; diced tomatoes, peppers, onion and grated garlic and chopped chilli, olive/rapeseed poil and lemon/lime juice.

I'm sure there are more.

All the above sound lovely and I would probably make a main course from the tuna and chickpeas. Most often as a side salad I use:
  • Salad leaves such as rocket, radicchio, cos, watercress (whatever looks pretty on the plate) dressed with a classic vinaigrette or a yoghurt vinaigrette.
  • Tomato salad with balsamic, olive oil and basil, parsley or coriander.
  • Potato salad (lots of different versions).
But the other day I went mad and served a whole selection of salad and starter dishes as a main course 'feast'. Coincidentally, I was just going start a thread about that! Will add a link... see here.

Last edited:
Salad leaves spring onions tomato egg cheese with home made dressing or bests dressing.
Coleslaw I serve as a side
Potato salad
Beetroot n onion salad
Tomatoes segments, as a side for croquettes ( it works)
Rice salad
Egg salad
Great choice of subject as most of the murican ones I see are quite dry.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom