Recipe Silkie/black chicken

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:42 AM
It came with all its parts, which were cut off and are cooking for some stock to use as part of braising liquid. Recipe to follow as I'm making it up as I go. It is a bit smaller than a cornish hen.

2019-08-16 14.45.49.jpg

For 2

1 black Silkie chicken, head, neck and feet removed and reserved
1 stalk lemongrass
2 inch piece of ginger root
2 large garlic cloves
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
One 14 oz canned quality coconut milk, cream spooned off top and reserved
Salt and pepper

Remove backbone from chicken, and place it, head, neck, and feet in a saucepan (you can add a mirepoix if you wish). Add 4 cups water and simmer for around 20-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove woody outer leaves from lemongrass and trim top and bottom hard parts. Using back of chef's knife break up lemongrass stalk. Peel garlic and smash cloves. Cut ginger into 3 coins and smash.

Strain stock into another pan and discard solids. Rinse out large saucepan. Add 2 cups of stock back into pan, plus vegetables above, the 1/4 tsp of 5 spice, and the remaining coconut milk in the can, plus a good pinch of salt. Open chicken (like you are spatchcocking) and place in pan. Cover and LOW simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours until tender.

Carefully remove chicken from liquid, blot dry. Strain braising liquid and discard solids. Simmer to thicken if needed, add the reserved coconut cream, let warm through, taste, adjust seasoning if needed.

We'll be having forbidden rice with this plus something else I'm also dreaming up.

Last edited:
:hyper: I've been waiting for this! I'm going to hold back until you (hopefully) post final photos to comment - except to say that the recipe looks good and I can imagine the black colour working well with the white coconut milk (visually).

The cooking time should be kept at 2 hours, maybe even a bit less. It was literally falling apart at 2.5 hours. Had to take it out with a large spatula.

The other side was a dragon fruit salad with lime juice, green onions and Fresno chiles.

It was pretty good, but considering the cost of the silkie, think we'll stick with regular chicken.

2019-08-16 18.37.44.jpg

Wow! What a brilliant and stunning idea to use the dragon fruit:

The other side was a dragon fruit salad with lime juice, green onions and Fresno chiles.

The black and white theme carried through punctuated with red chilli and the green lime. Beautiful.

But are you saying the Silkie chicken doesn't really taste much different from regular chicken? I've never had it so I don't know.

Not really, it was a little more chickeny, like an older hen or rooster would be because of age, but not much of a difference

Not really, it was a little more chickeny, like an older hen or rooster would be because of age, but not much of a difference

Wish I could get older hen/rooster here. The only time I've eaten it is in France and the taste is much better than these young birds we get.

Back
Top Bottom