Simple cooking cheats

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
9:19 AM
A thread to share simple cooking cheats! I will start with one my wife suggested last week:

Brush Marmite onto a chop or piece of meat before grilling or frying. I use Marmite quite a lot in sauces to give depth and a big umami hit, but I'd never considered using it directly on meat before. Odd, because I'd cooked Marmite coated roast potatoes a couple of weeks ago, so it should have been a natural progression. Marmite was duly painted onto the fat of a rack of lamb before searing, and the result was fabulous. I plan to try it on steaks and pork chops also.

To easily remove the shells of hard or soft-boiled quail's eggs, cover them in vinegar and leave for 15 mins. Use a cheap vinegar! If you put them in a large mug you need less vinegar than a bowl. The vinegar literally dissolves and softens the shell and it slips off easily.

Anyone who has struggled peeling a quail's egg will appreciate this tip.

Last edited:
They don't call it "pound" cake for nothing. My favorite is marble or chocolate chip.

Toast a slice of pound cake, top it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Easy/quick dessert for unexpected guests, etc.

Last edited:
I've loved pound cake since I was a kid!! That is why, when I get a taste for some, I always Make it from scratch!!! :wink::hungry:

To easily remove the shells of hard or soft-boiled quail's eggs, cover them in vinegar and leave for 15 mins. Use a cheap vinegar! If you put them in a large mug you need less vinegar than a bowl. The vinegar literally dissolves and softens the shell and it slips off easily.

Anyone who has struggled peeling a quail's egg will appreciate this tip.

Ok, hands up all those who use quail's eggs

Thought so :whistling:

:wink:

As I recently discovered - adding a little instant coffee powder or granules to savoury stews, chilli, baked beans, stewed mushrooms. It provides a fantastic umami flavour and nobody would guess there was coffee in the sauce.

Chocolate is supposed to be good in a chilli, waste of chocolate :headshake:

Back
Top Bottom