Recipe Simple lemon drink

Kake Lover

Veteran
Local time
10:06 AM
This is the most easy, delicious and refreshing summer drink.
My mother used to make this for us when we were children. She had a large table top liquidiser.
As I only have a stick blender at the moment, on this occasion I have just made enough for one glass, using just one lemon.

IMG_20170606_182425372.jpg

IMG_20170606_182501923.jpg

You need:
Fresh lemons ( just washed but not peeled or grated)
Cold water
Caster sugar
Mint to garnish ( optional)

A blender or liquidiser

Method:
Chop lemons and put in the blender with 2 desertspoons of sugar per lemon.
Add water until the lemons are covered and blend until all the lemons are completely blended with the water and sugar.
Strain, chill and serve.

Chop lemons and put in the blender with 2 desertspoons of sugar per lemon.
Two questions:

1) Since the Ingredients said Fresh lemons ( just washed but not peeled or grated) does the above mean that you chop the entire lemon - peel, rind, and all - or that you first remove the peel and rind?
2) How does this refreshing drink taste with a piece of kake? :cake:

I like the sound of using the entire lemon (I would buy organic to do that - disliking the wax coating on the skin) - I am sure it would be very zingy! I would substitute the white sugar with honey.

Two questions:

1) Since the Ingredients said Fresh lemons ( just washed but not peeled or grated) does the above mean that you chop the entire lemon - peel, rind, and all - or that you first remove the peel and rind?
2) How does this refreshing drink taste with a piece of kake? :cake:

1) The entire lemon!
2) I drank it too quickly to go with anything. I don't think it would compliment anything sweet.

No, I use caster sugar because it disolves as you blend it. If you try it , let me know please.
I might try caster sugar next time.

Half added as you blend it the rest before you chill/cool it, but you may find it stands longer before it's dissolved.

Used to pour into demijohns with a tap in the bung.

Here's a simple replacement for caster sugar that I've found works just as well: put your table sugar in a coffee grinder, and buzz it until it turns to dust. It integrates the same way as caster sugar, without having to go out and buy it. I'm not sure what the price difference is on your side of the pond, but it's too expensive here (if you can even find it) to justify the cost, particularly when the solution is so simple. I found this technique when making an orange chicken dish that called for caster sugar. Now, I use this whenever I want to dissolve sugar into a liquid (Asian dips are another good example).

Here's a simple replacement for caster sugar that I've found works just as well: put your table sugar in a coffee grinder, and buzz it until it turns to dust. It integrates the same way as caster sugar, without having to go out and buy it. I'm not sure what the price difference is on your side of the pond, but it's too expensive here (if you can even find it) to justify the cost, particularly when the solution is so simple. I found this technique when making an orange chicken dish that called for caster sugar. Now, I use this whenever I want to dissolve sugar into a liquid (Asian dips are another good example).
It is a bit more expensive but is easily available and I always use it in cake making.

It is a bit more expensive but is easily available and I always use it in cake making.
I'd never thought about it before - but looking at prices caster sugar is over twice the price per kilo as granulated sugar. Caster is around £1.33 a kilo ($1.72).

Back
Top Bottom