Recipe Simplest Duck Confit with lentils or beans (for Bastille Day)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:53 PM
Ingredients:
4 duck legs
Sea salt or Kosher salt
500g/ 16oz Duck fat
Lentils or beans

Method:
  • Rub lots of salt into the duck legs and put them into a casserole dish. Make sure its a snug fit. Cover and leave for 24 hours. They will produce liquid.
  • Pour off liquid and rinse off the salt. Pat the duck legs dry.
  • Melt the duck fat in a saucepan.
  • Put duck legs back into the casserole dish and pour the duck fat over them.
  • Cook for 3 to 4 hours at 150 C, but check after 2 and a half hours. The flesh should be really tender when they are ready.
If you get this far you have made the Duck Confit! Leave to cool in the fat (in which case they will keep a long time) or use immediately. When you want to use them, wipe away the fat and heat through with puy lentils or haricot beans. You can add lots of different seasonings to the basic salt cure, such as a splash of brandy, thyme, star anise etc.

Duck is actually a food I've never tried - might sound crazy to some but I've just never been in a situation where it sounded all that appealing!

I think I also read that it's quite a fatty meat - is that right?

Duck is actually a food I've never tried - might sound crazy to some but I've just never been in a situation where it sounded all that appealing!

I think I also read that it's quite a fatty meat - is that right?

Not particularly fat. Most of it is rendered off during the cooking. Do try it. You can get duck legs quite cheaply from the supermarket in the UK. Cooked as above its just so succulent and delicious!

Not particularly fat. Most of it is rendered off during the cooking. Do try it. You can get duck legs quite cheaply from the supermarket in the UK. Cooked as above its just so succulent and delicious!

That's good to know that most of the fat is rendered off - succulent sounds good to me!

I'll have to give it a try, Thanks for letting me know!

Back
Top Bottom