I wanted to make something that used both fish eggs and chicken eggs…sort of a surf and turf. I did not invent the idea of using caviar in a dip, but I did take it in different directions from ones that I have seen.
3 eggs, hard boiled
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 cup pesto (I made mine from sweet basil, with Greek oregano and Thai basil from my garden)
1/2 cup pickled onions, chopped
1/2 cup pickled peppers, chopped
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
2 ounces caviar
1. Chop eggs and blend with mayonnaise. Spoon carefully into a good quality glass or ceramic bowl. This is what you will be using to serve the dip.
2. Spoon a layer of pickled onions over the top of the egg mixture. Chop additional onions if needed to make sure you are covering from edge to edge.
3. Spread a layer of pesto over the top of the onions. Spread a layer of peppers over the top of the pesto.
4. Blend sour cream, cream cheese, and scallions together. Spread in a layer over the top.
5. Carefully spoon the caviar to cover the top layer.
6. Serve with crackers.