Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
mac-cheese-5.jpg

Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: around 15 minutes, depending on level of onion browning
Rest time: Not needed.
Serves: 2-3 as a main. 5 as a side.
Leftover friendly: Store in fridge.
Suggested side: Tossed salad drizzled with a homemade unsweetened vinaigrette.

I'll admit that the only way I like mac and cheese is when the dish incorporates MORE than macaroni and cheese - vegetables, meats, shellfish... Here's a vegetarian recipe.

Skillet Mac and Cheese with Veggies

• 4 ounces of pasta noodles (spirals or rotini preferred.)
  • Quality cooking oil, one tablespoon. I used avocado oil, which I source from Costco/BJ’s.
  • 1/2 large onion. (Slice thin and chop coarsely)
  • 4 ounces button mushrooms (or add in some shiitake!), Slice and break up large pieces.
  • 4 ounces snow peas. (Break in halves or thirds)
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry (or low sodium boxed vegetable broth; or your homemade veggie broth).
  • 8 to 10 ounces total of a variety of meltable cheeses. (I used Monterrey Jack, Gruyere, Fontina and just a little smoked Gouda – these all add their own flavor signature, and the Jack is for additional creaminess.)
  • The leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh tarragon (sub in 1/4 teaspoon or so of dried if necessary, but it’s not quite the same. You can play with oregano or other herbs, too.)
  • Optional red pepper flakes, to taste.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.

Prep all the veggies, and get some water ready for the pasta.

In a medium large skillet, heat up the oil, and add the onions. Cook them to at least translucent — you can continue the process until they are well-caramelized, if you wish.

Add in the mushrooms (they will soak up the oil, which is why I start with that much). Cook until done.

Start the pasta water to boil, and add the snow peas to the skillet, along with the salt and pepper, and stir, about one minute.

Don’t overcook the snow peas — add in the sherry (or veggie broth), and then the cheese.

When the water boils in the pot, add the pasta to the pot, and cook ON THE AU DENTE SIDE as per box directions.

Stir the skillet ingredients, reducing heat to a simmer so that you don’t overcook the snow peas or scald the cheese. Make sure everything melts. Add the tarragon and the optional red pepper flakes.

Drain the cooked pasta and flip it into the skillet, and continue stirring until everything is mixed appropriately.

You're done!

For four people (as a main), size up accordingly, and use that LARGE skillet!

Instead of snowpeas or mushrooms, there is a whole world of other veggies to explore in this dish. Of course, different veggies will require different cooking times. Frankly, adding veggies is a highlight to mac and cheese, turning a pedestrian dish into a delight. Ideas: Bell peppers of various colors, broccoli, broccolini, shaved Brussels sprouts, slivers of golden beets. asparagus… we could go on… Oh, and onions could be replaced by leeks…

Back
Top Bottom