Skyline Chili

CraigC

Guru
Local time
9:51 AM
I tried this chili for the first and last time yesterday. No real heat (without adding hot sauce) and way too much cinnamon! I had mine 4-way, over spaghetti with cheddar and raw onions. I'll stick to my Texas red. I know I should stay away from Ohio! Both my ex wife and ex girlfriend were from there. :ohmy: :headshake:

Cincy chili...you either live it or hate it. I'm from around Cincy, and I'm in the latter category.

Did you at least put a single dot of hot sauce on each oyster cracker while you waited? :wink:

Cincy chili...you either live it or hate it. I'm from around Cincy, and I'm in the latter category.

Did you at least put a single dot of hot sauce on each oyster cracker while you waited? :wink:

Didn't eat any oyster crackers, don't like crackers of any kind with chili. I put all of the packets of hot sauce in the chili.

I Googled this as hadn't heard of it and got a lot of photos which look like this. What is all that yellow spaghetti like stuff on top?

1581088569753.png

... it seems that it isn't really chilli as we know it.

The name "Cincinnati chili" is often confusing to those unfamiliar with it, who expect the dish to be similar to chili con carne; as a result, it is common for those encountering it for the first time to conclude it is a poor example of chili. The consistency, flavors and serving method have more in common with Greek pasta sauces and with the spiced meat sauces used to top hot dogs in parts of New York, Rhode Island, and Michigan than they do with chili con carne.

Cincy chili is nearly a religion here. You're either Skyline or Gold Star, or someone who prefers the non-chain parlors, like Price Hill Chili or Blue Ash Chili.

It's a sauce, not a bowl of chili to eat on its own. It gets ordered in "ways," atop spaghetti, like a 3-way or a 4-way. It also comes on small hot dogs (with onion, mustard, and cheese), and also in wraps.

It's always fun at work with first-time visitors from out-of-town to have an appropriately attractive local ask, "We were thinking of having a 3-way for lunch...want to join us?" - just to see their expression.

It smells like nothing else. Beef and cinnamon and tomato sauce and grease, I guess. If you like Greek/Mediterranean flavors, that kofta-like sweet-savory mix, you might like it.

When you sit down, you'll immediately be presented with a little bowl of oyster crackers. No one puts them in the chili, since the chili is a sauce for spaghetti. The oyster crackers are meant to be a little appetizer, and you're meant to pick one up, and squirt a single drop of hot sauce on it, and nosh on that while you wait for your food. If you're lucky, you'll get the occasional cracker with a little hole in the top, and you can fill it full of hot sauce. Then you're living!

I think I ate a couple oyster crackers once. That was enough. I'm picky about crackers. And I never want them in soup - they always appear to the side of clam chowder.

I've not ever seen or heard of skyline chili until now. I'll try a taste should I get back to Cincinnati/Ohio. Got to be better than the Red Lobster shrimp I ate once years ago travelling through the state (before the Internet provided a breakdown of places to eat), which left my belly jumping up and down in a most unpleasant fashion (and I'd ordered the steamed, not the fried, shrimp).

Cincy chili is nearly a religion here. You're either Skyline or Gold Star, or someone who prefers the non-chain parlors, like Price Hill Chili or Blue Ash Chili.

It's a sauce, not a bowl of chili to eat on its own. It gets ordered in "ways," atop spaghetti, like a 3-way or a 4-way. It also comes on small hot dogs (with onion, mustard, and cheese), and also in wraps.

It's always fun at work with first-time visitors from out-of-town to have an appropriately attractive local ask, "We were thinking of having a 3-way for lunch...want to join us?" - just to see their expression.

It smells like nothing else. Beef and cinnamon and tomato sauce and grease, I guess. If you like Greek/Mediterranean flavors, that kofta-like sweet-savory mix, you might like it.

When you sit down, you'll immediately be presented with a little bowl of oyster crackers. No one puts them in the chili, since the chili is a sauce for spaghetti. The oyster crackers are meant to be a little appetizer, and you're meant to pick one up, and squirt a single drop of hot sauce on it, and nosh on that while you wait for your food. If you're lucky, you'll get the occasional cracker with a little hole in the top, and you can fill it full of hot sauce. Then you're living!
Great description tr.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom