Recipe Slow Cooker Hot Wings

Sherry

Veteran
Local time
2:54 AM
Typically I make my hot wings by first salting them then dredging in flour and frying, preferably in shortening. After frying and draining a bit I drizzle or drown them with a simple wing sauce made with three parts hot sauce and two parts melted butter.
Needless to say, my typical hot wings are loaded with calories; but now, they ARE tasty.
Yesterday my husband requested hot wings for dinner. I really just didn't want to do all the frying and mess (minimal) that goes with my typical hot wings, so I turned to a slow cooker buffalo wing recipe that I had been considering trying for some time.
This is a very easy recipe to follow and is pretty much no fuss, as most slow cooker recipes are, requiring little more than the patience to wait for the rather long cook time. And the ingredients, of course.
Anyway, my husband said he much preferred my typical crisply fried hot wings where these turned out more like oven baked wings instead and were very moist, which I personally liked. The hot sauce does, though, tend to lose some of its fire in the slow cooking process.They are not nearly as hot as the scorchers I usually make (that my husband likes).
That, too, was not necessarily a bad thing. I do think that next time I will choose a hotter hot sauce to make my wings with and maybe knock off a little of the honey, though I think it's the honey that helps the sauce to caramelize in the last stage of the recipe when you put the wings to broil in an oven for a few minutes.
I did opt to cook my sauce down after removing the wings and placing on a foiled pan. After cooking down I put all of the sauce over the wings and broiled. There was quite a lot of sauce by this time, even boiled down.
I served my wings with stir fried mushrooms, onions, green peppers and rice, pouring just a little of the sauce into the rice after taking the wings out of from under the broiler in the oven.
Delicious.
In spite of the fact that my husband prefers the wings I've always made, I am sure I will be making these again for taking to potlucks, etc. Probably with the wings over the rice dish, too, as the wings and rice seem to go so well together.
There are also some other slow cooker recipes on this site that are worth looking into:

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2014/02/simple-crock-pot-buffalo-chicken-wings-recipe.html

Back
Top Bottom