Recipe Small batch sauerkraut

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:26 AM
Small batch sauerkraut from The Kitchn

I've made this quite a few times. While Craig likes commercially made sauerkraut, I don't, it's much too sour.

The trick to really get this fermenting is to make sure you really work the salt into the cabbage, which just kills my hands since I have arthritis. I usually use the spice grinder to crush the caraway seeds some, but didn't feel like cleaning it, so got out a plastic bag and the meat mallet to crush them. While doing that, had an aha moment. I used the end of the meat mallet to work the cabbage. It did a fantastic job and no sore hands. Within a couple of hours of jarring the cabbage, the liquid level was up to top of cabbage. It actually could have been eaten 7 days after starting, but we let it go a couple more.

I use a small plastic bag filled with brine (see below for salt/water ratio) to weight the cabbage down. Use a jar big enough to hold the cabbage plus a little more room so you don't have a possible bubble over mess, or use more than 1 jar.

Please read the whole article before you attempt fermenting and always remember "if in doubt, throw it out!" Don't get me wrong, it's not difficult at all, you just want to keep food safety rules in mind.

1 medium head green cabbage (about 3 pounds) I've used Savoy, Napa and red also.
1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional, for flavor)

Make sure everything is impeccably clean. I fill the mason jar with near boiling water and let it sit while I'm preparing cabbage.

Tear off any wilted limp outer leaves and wash outside of cabbage off. Reserve 1 outside leaf to cover top of cabbage later. Quarter cabbage and core, then cut quarters in half, making 8 wedges. Slice thinly. Place cabbage in a large bowl, sprinkle salt over, then work salt into cabbage until it becomes limp like coleslaw and starts to give off liquid. Stir in caraway seeds at this point if using. Empty water out of mason jar, then transfer cabbage into jar, along with any liquid. Press down the cabbage. Place the reserved leaf over, then place the bag with the brine into the jar, cover with cheesecloth or paper towels secured with a rubber band or twine.

Over the next day, press down on the cabbage several times. The cabbage will become more limp and the liquid level should be rising. If the liquid level is not above the level of the cabbage by 24 hours, you will need to add some brine, 1 tsp salt to 1 cup water, to reach level of cabbage.

Let ferment in a cool (65-75 F) place out of direct sunlight for 3-10 days, tasting daily after the third day. Store in refrigerator after the sauerkraut is "sour" enough for your taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it happens I received a book about fermenting for Xmas - its a brilliant book. Noma in Denmark has been four times named as the world's best restaurant - they have a kitchen dedicated to fermenting.

51URiwx+nJL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Cabbage cut and ready to salt and mash. I decided to add 10 juniper berries this time.

2019-10-02 09.25.09.jpg

After about 10 minutes of mashing with the meat mallet by rocking side to side, and mashing and making about a quarter turn. Stir with a large spoon from time to time to make sure all the cabbage gets a good mash. You can see how the volume has decreased and texture has changed.

2019-10-02 09.24.42.jpg

Packed and ready to start fermenting. The liquid level is just below the highest juniper berry.

2019-10-02 09.24.17.jpg

Last edited:
I may have to take my brine bag completely out if this batch produces anymore liquid. I've already pulled it up/out some. Can't believe how much liquid this batch is producing. It's bubbling right along.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it, and I don't believe you have from previous posts.

So true, I will always try new things or new ways of cooking. I tried sauerkraut about 10 years ago from my friend, a retired butcher, I loved it. He makes it about every 6 months and gives me some. I make a Reuben sammich when I get it. I really should try doing it myself, but no one else around me likes it. Yours I'm sure is yummy!!

Russ

Smelling it is more than enough. Makes me feel like I've eaten some of it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom