Smelly cod

Scott-180

Local time
9:38 AM
hi everyone,

Im very new to cooking but really trying to throw myself into it. I recently bought some cod which I shallow fried in butter before baking it in the oven. It turned out pretty well but my whole apartment smelled really badly of fish.

I thought that cod was not supposed to be a smelly fish so i was surprised. I bought it pre-packed from the super market and not from a fish monger. Could this be the problem or does all cod smell like this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

hi everyone,

Im very new to cooking but really trying to throw myself into it. I recently bought some cod which I shallow fried in butter before baking it in the oven. It turned out pretty well but my whole apartment smelled really badly of fish.

I thought that cod was not supposed to be a smelly fish so i was surprised. I bought it pre-packed from the super market and not from a fish monger. Could this be the problem or does all cod smell like this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fresh fish, like cod should smell of the ocean/sea. If not then it isn't fresh. The reason I don't buy filleted fish unless I know the source. I generally require seeing the whole fish before buying it, unless I shot it or a friend caught/shot it. If you have to buy frozen, stay away from anything from China or SE Asia.:headshake:

Fresh fish really shouldn't smell unpleasant. It could be to do with the packaging I suppose - but generally it would mean it is unfresh.

I bought some haddock not too long ago. I immediately vacuum-sealed it & froze it to lock in the freshness of the fish. :wink:

.......... stay away from anything from China or SE Asia.:headshake:

A little difficult for me.

We have cod and haddock (imported - from I know not where) and numerous local white fish species including pangasius hypophthalmus, pollock and tilapia. I've eaten them all with minimal detrimental after effects.

A little difficult for me.

We have cod and haddock (imported - from I know not where) and numerous local white fish species including pangasius hypophthalmus, pollock and tilapia. I've eaten them all with minimal detrimental after effects.

In the US, it is required to put the country of origin on the packaging. China in particular thinks that it is alright to send the filthy condition raise fish to other countries:mad:.

Back
Top Bottom