Recipe & Video Smoked Fish Dip

FowlersFreeTime

Local time
5:13 AM
Website
www.fowlersfreetime.com
For the first time ever in print/text format, I present to you FFFD: Fowler's Famous [smoked] Fish Dip
A staple here in Florida, many people have their own variation on the recipe. This is mine:
20180704_133339.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 2-3lbs Fish. It can be a white fleshed fish like snapper, but an oily fish like mackerel works best.
    • I have used Almaco Jack, Amberjack, Spanish Mackerel, King Mackerel, Mahi, and Cod.
    • I highly recommend Mackerel in any form, and advise against Cod (it had zero flavor!).
  • Wood for smoking: I suggest apple wood as it is a nice mild flavor.
  • Brown sugar
  • Kosher Salt
  • Black Pepper
  • Lemon pepper
  • Cajun seasoning
  • 2 large jalapeños (de-seeded & finely diced)
  • 4-6 cloved of garlic (pressed)
  • 1 large or 2 small shallots (finely diced)
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Light Mayonnaise
  • Whipped Cream Cheese
  • Chives or scallions, whichever you prefer (thinly sliced)
Method:
  1. Slice the fish into palm sized pieces so you can expose more surface area.
  2. Brine the fish. You can either use a wet brine as I did in the video below, or use a dry brine as I do nowadays.
    1. For a dry brine, cover the fish in 1 part salt, 1 part brown sugar, place on a rack in the fridge for a few hours.
  3. Rinse brine off fish, pat dry, then sprinkle with Cajun seasoning.
  4. Smoke the fish at 200 degrees.
    1. I want to give you times, but the truth is, everyone's smoker is different. Thinner fillets will take less time, like an hour, thicker pieces of fish will take up to 2 hours. Flesh should be firm, dry, and darkened from the smoking process.
  5. Set aside fish to cool.
  6. Shred fish. I do this by hand to ensure there are no bones. It also preserved some of the nice flakey fish pieces so people recognize what it is they are eating!
    1. You can cheat and use a food processor if you want, I won't tell ;-) I did it in the video below but didn't like the "fine crumb" texture.
  7. In a large mixing bowl, add your fish, finely diced shallots, jalapeños, and scallions (reserving some of the greens for garnish later).
  8. In a one-to-one ratio, add a cup of whipped cream cheese and a cup of lite mayonnaise.
  9. Season with black pepper and lemon pepper.
  10. Add pressed garlic
  11. Add 2-3 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
  12. Mix by hand, or if using a machine, just don't over mix it.
  13. Taste and adjust seasoning as you see fit. Maybe sprinkle some more Cajun seasoning on it and garnish with scallion greens.
  14. Cover and refrigerate until party time!
Serving tips:
  • Seems like a lot of work, but this makes a ton of dip, great for a party of a dozen people.
  • I like it on pita chips, or crackers, but its also nice on little toast slices.
IMG_20190908_192657_sq.jpg

For your amusement, my first attempt on video 5 years ago on my old youtube channel:
View: https://youtu.be/JBNX1Q-yKRc

Please don't subscribe to that channel, there will be no new content there.
Also, as you can tell from my instructions above, my method has evolved over time.

Please note, even if you don't have a dedicated smoker, you CAN smoke your own fish if you have an outdoor grill:
20161209_183224.jpg

This is known as a "hot smoke" even if the temperature is as low as 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The texture is more dry and firm when compared to a "cold smoke" as is popular for salmon or trout which results in a soft texture.

Last edited:
Please note, even if you don't have a dedicated smoker, you CAN smoke your own fish if you have an outdoor grill:
View attachment 70888

This is known as a "hot smoke" even if the temperature is as low as 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The texture is more dry and firm when compared to a "cold smoke" as is popular for salmon or trout which results in a soft texture.

Even though I normally use a charcoal grill for smoking, I also have one of these smoke tubes for my gas grill. It works great, and doesn't add much heat -- good for cold smoking. It uses wood pellets for fuel.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 12.15.40 PM.jpg

You can get them from Amazon now... https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Pellet-Tube-Smoker-Design/dp/B00CS6YFIC

CD

Such a terrific preparation here. I didn’t even think of brining the fish before I smoked it. I will definitely give it a try next time… It’s two of my favorite preparations at the same time!

I am now adding smoking a fish to things I’m going to do with my smoker before it gets too cold outside.

Such a terrific preparation here. I didn’t even think of brining the fish before I smoked it. I will definitely give it a try next time… It’s two of my favorite preparations at the same time!

I am now adding smoking a fish to things I’m going to do with my smoker before it gets too cold outside.
You will not be disappointed my friend. Smoking fish is so much easier than pork or beef, and quicker!

Back
Top Bottom