Smoked salmon spread

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
4:24 PM
One if my favorite cracker spreads in this world is a well made smoked salmon dip. I cut pieces of smoked salmon up into chunks and then let a brick of cream cheese stay out on the counter top until it is room temperature. I then cut up some green onions and mix the cream cheese, salmon, and onions together and serve it in a bowl. What are your smoked salmon spread variations?

Reactions: L_B
I do a similar thing with my home smoked trout with the trimmings ,but a little natural yoghurt or mascarpone ,dill and grated lemon if i use it in another dish ie with black rye bread I would add a little grated horseradish and use cream cheese on the bread

Both dips sound good and like something I would want to have for special occasions. Do you have wine with these dips?

Do you have a recipe for it to share? :wink:

Well, I always just kind of throw into the bowl what looks right....but, you need one brick of softened cream cheese, a half a cup of smoked salmon, about 2 green onions cut up, salt and pepper. Mix it all together. You can sprinkle in some chopped nuts too if you like.

Reactions: L_B
Do you have a recipe for it to share? :wink:
It's a by eye dish ,it's a quick fix for canapés ,seasoning is a bit of one to get right as some of the flavours don't require much ,and the same as the ingredients ,I know horseradish is not your friend,so you can omit this,you could add ground pink peppercorns ,or even put a particular cure on the fish before smoking,or if you not confident smoking you can just cook the fish lightly,or you could use a cerviche style cure on the fish

Both dips sound good and like something I would want to have for special occasions. Do you have wine with these dips?
A chilled sancerre or Pouilly-Fumé are a good match ,
Agood match for smoked salmon products is a good scotch whisky......

One if my favorite cracker spreads in this world is a well made smoked salmon dip. I cut pieces of smoked salmon up into chunks and then let a brick of cream cheese stay out on the counter top until it is room temperature. I then cut up some green onions and mix the cream cheese, salmon, and onions together and serve it in a bowl. What are your smoked salmon spread variations?
This is literally the first time I've heard of this, and until last week, would've had everything to do this recipe! Woe with my insistent need to eat smoked salmon! Woe I say! At any rate, I'll have to try this as soon as possible. Though I'll probably add in garlic powder to the ingredients. Oh, and maybe some black pepper!

Oh, I am so going to make some of that! I LOVE smoked salmon! I had some on my salad last night. I usually get a package of it to have on a bagel with creamed cheese, but last night I had some salad green's I'd picked up at the grocer that I needed to use along with some grape tomatoes and an avocado and voila, dinner was born, lol. (Forgot the cucumber, sigh...)

Update: I tried this recipe and absolutely adored the wonderful mixture of taste! I liked to dip some broccolli into it as a little finger snack and I also put it on a few crackers; either way the taste complimented both snacks exponentially. It's too bad my siblings called it 'disgusting'; I only recently found out they apparently don't like fish. Oh well, the more for me I guess!

I do a similar spread but it has smoked salmon, cream cheese, dill, green onions, and a dash of worcestershire sauce. I also love to make an artichoke dip for people that are not so keen on fish.

We don't buy salmon spread. What we do is buy fresh salmon and make our own slamon spread. We usually make that for picnics or camping trips with the relatives. We cook the salmon by sauteing it in garlic and onion that are finely chopped. When cooked, we drain the salmon before mixing it with mayonnaise, pickle relish, chopped spring onions and pepper. Sometimes we lace it with ketchup to get a better color. Our homemade spread is guaranteed fresh. I need that because I have an allergy with fish, tuna in particular.

I absolutely love this stuff as well, even just smoked lox on it's own is a real treat.

There was a bagel/deli place I would pass on my way to work, that would make large batches of salmon cream cheese spread and have it ready in the deli window. They would whip it up somehow, so it was super smooth and faintly pink. It was incredible on their "everything" bagels or their onion bagels, toasted.

When I eat it at home though, I don't mix the two together, I just spread the bagel with some cream cheese mixed with chives, then place the salmon over top and hit it with some black pepper.

I am definitely going to make some of this today for an evening snack. We are having a few friends over for a few drinks so I think this will be a hit. I was looking for some fast and easy ideas. Didn't want to have to spend all my time preparing stuff while everybody else is sitting around having fun. :) It sounds so good! I really love smoked salmon.

This is literally the first time I've heard of this, and until last week, would've had everything to do this recipe! Woe with my insistent need to eat smoked salmon! Woe I say! At any rate, I'll have to try this as soon as possible. Though I'll probably add in garlic powder to the ingredients. Oh, and maybe some black pepper!
I have never tried making it with garlic powder, but I bet it would taste really good. The salmon is not overwhelming either because the cream cheese dilutes the flavor a little. I am from Washington so salmon is a staple food around here. Fresh salmon smoked is the beat way to go. My dad always smokes his own and gives me some, keeps all the preservatives away!

Back
Top Bottom