Smoked Tomato Sauce

timmyc

Local time
2:17 PM
[Mod.Edit. First few posts here moved to form new thread].

Homemade pasta with a smoked tomato sauce is my favourite.

Might be hard to make at home, but in the kitchen at work i put whole tomatoes on-top of a wire tray, that sits inside a deep gastronome tray with red gum wood chips inside. the flavour of the wood smokes the tomatoes. After the tomatoes are fully cooked and smoked you blitz them in a robo coup and use that as your pasta sauce, its very nice with sprinkled with a little bit of blue cheese :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Might be hard to make at home, but in the kitchen at work i put whole tomatoes on-top of a wire tray, that sits inside a deep gastronome tray with red gum wood chips inside. the flavour of the wood smokes the tomatoes. After the tomatoes are fully cooked and smoked you blitz them in a robo coup and use that as your pasta sauce, its very nice with sprinkled with a little bit of blue cheese :D

Well, what a lovely idea! What I do have is a smoking gun which is good for small quantities of food. I will try smoking the tomatoes that way to see if it works (I'll roast them first). I'm sure it won't be as good as cooking over wood-smoke but its worth a try.

Well, what a lovely idea! What I do have is a smoking gun which is good for small quantities of food. I will try smoking the tomatoes that way to see if it works (I'll roast them first). I'm sure it won't be as good as cooking over wood-smoke but its worth a try.

Yeh why not give it a try.

The wood smoke really makes it, that taste comes through the sauce and it really is something else!
Once the tomato skin starts to break give it a couple more minutes and it will be done.

This has given me an idea. I plan to start dehydrating tomatoes once the crop starts in a few weeks time. Maybe a few hours in the cold smoker would add another dimension - smoked sun-dried tomatoes!

We have a recipe for a smoky salsa where everything gets lightly smoked, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeno, etc. It's been so long since we made it Craig forgot about it. It was great, not sure why it didn't become a regular.

I wonder what wood I should use as I have a variety. This might be a good chance to try the manuka! Although I won't make a pasta sauce, maybe as a base for a SW, Tex-Mex or Mexican salsa. I wounder how tomatillos would be smoked.

You get Manuka? If so try smoking fish over it, it's really good. It's the number 1 wood here.

Russ

[Mod.Edit. First few posts here moved to form new thread].

With herbs right? Basil and oregano?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom