So ... Sriracha.

lystless

Veteran
Local time
3:55 PM
Does it actually make everything better? I want opinions from you experts.

I have had to go and look that one up. I have never heard of it!

Sriracha is a type of hot sauce or chili sauce made from a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt.

And reached the conclusion that it is feathery like tabasco sauce with garlic and sugar.

Tabasco sauce is a brand of hot sauce made exclusively from tabasco peppers (Capsicum frutescens var. tabasco), vinegar and salt. It has a hot, spicy flavor

In short, I have no idea :laugh:

I think it's way overrated personally - it's become a bit of a fad in recent years similar to the bacon craze. It's basically like a bright reddish thick, almost paste-like, hot sauce. It's about the consistency of a jarred pasta sauce like Ragu. It's also got garlic in it as well, though I don't really taste it much. It's hot, but what makes it seem even hotter is how thick it is since it kind of coats your mouth and continues to burn it when you are eating something with it. I can't quite put my finger on why it tastes so different from your more traditional hot sauces like Tapatio or Cholula - it's missing that smokey quality I guess. But it also has a rather unpleasant acidic bitterness to it, that I don't like. If it's diluted into something I don't mind it, but I don't put it on stuff like ketchup like some people do.

Interestingly though, the same company that makes Sriracha also makes two other products - one of them is a more coarsely ground garlic chili paste, which I do kind of like. I mix it with Teriyaki sauce and some honey for a quick "General Tso's Chicken" type sauce. It seriously tastes almost exactly like it.

My current favorite hot sauce would be Tapatio. It's not as vinegary as stuff like Franks Red Hot or Louisiana Hot Sauce, and has a very balanced flavor with a rich smokiness to it, and it's slightly thicker too.

Back
Top Bottom