Recipe Soft Corn Tacos with Ground Bison, Pepper Jack Cheese, Ramps, Microgreens

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
12:55 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
taco-bson-serving-crop-.jpg

What is rather sad on a small-scale level these days (considering there are a lot of much larger-scale sadnesses going on) is that at taco bars the cheese to sprinkle on is at the end of the line, instead of near the hot items such as the refried beans or the beef. I like my taco cheese to melt. I hereby believe it should appear right after the hot ingredients, and before the lettuce, tomato, scallions, or whatever that is typically added cold.

Well, currently I'm Home Alone, and so I can make my tacos any way I want. I even took the melting a step further than needed even by me. Why not? Home Alone!

I have two variants today. One contains meat, and the other is vegetarian. I'll post the other one shortly after this one goes up. The ground buffalo/bison here comes from WildIdeaBuffalo.com- a site I found a few years back with range-raised Montana bison. If you are in the US, and want range-raised meats, check them out.

taco-bison-angle-.jpg

Regards ramps: they are an amazing and tasty, and very seasonal allium.

Soft Corn Tacos with Ground Buffalo, Pepper Jack, Ramps, and Microgreens
  • 1/4 pound ground buffalo meat (or whatever you prefer / have).
  • Two soft taco shells (corn tortillas).
  • Two or three ounces of pepper jack (or other meltable) cheese. Shred or finely chop.
  • 2 ramps, chopped.
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (heat level to your preference, I used "medium hot")
  • Salt and pepper to taste. (Keep the salt low - a little is good but you can always add more at the table.)
  • 1 tablespoon butter or cooking oil.
  • A couple small handfuls of fresh microgreens.
This recipe makes two soft tacos per person, and is written up per person.

Prep everything and have it ready. Pull out your skillet, and add a tablespoon of butter/oil. Let it melt at medium heat.

My soft shell tortillas were getting a bit old, so I let them soffen in the skillet, 30 seconds per side. If yours are fresh, skip this step. Remove and set aside.

Break up and grill the ground meat, adding the chili powder, salt and pepper as you pan fry this. Continue to break up, but do not mush. Move to the side.

Ramps and cheese can be cooked briefly in the skillet, another minute, just let the ramps get warm to release flavor (if you DO get ramps with the root bulbs, add that part to the skillet and cook that a minute longer). Remove skillet from burner/hob.

Add the meat to each tortilla, half of this to each one, as a central line.

Add the ramps and cheese atop that central line.

Grab those microgreens, and top. If you have or want salsa or guacamole or sour cream - that's seriously traditional.

Fold and eat with any aforementioned toppings. Serious simple yummers!

Great looking food!

Re the ramps - they are usually known as wild garlic here, if we are meaning the same thing. I'm not sure we are because the green shoots in your photos don't look like wild garlic.

1589122545498.png

Great looking food!

Re the ramps - they are usually known as wild garlic here, if we are meaning the same thing. I'm not sure we are because the green shoots in your photos don't look like wild garlic.

View attachment 40643

The top of the photos are regular microgreens. I didn't get around to take photo-layering pics here, but I'd chopped up the ones I got which look like yours. Wild garlic is another name, yes. (In this recipe they simply ended up just above(chopped) the ground beef, and before the cheese and then the microgreens.

t-ramps tortillas.jpg

The top of the photos are regular microgreens. I didn't get around to take photo-layering pics here, but I'd chopped up the ones I got which look like yours. Wild garlic is another name, yes. (In this recipe they simply ended up just above(chopped) the ground beef, and before the cheese and then the microgreens.

View attachment 40645

Sorry - my misreading.

I'm not a big fan of tacos or other 'wraps' but I think this recipe is very lovely.

View attachment 40641

What is rather sad on a small-scale level these days (considering there are a lot of much larger-scale sadnesses going on) is that at taco bars the cheese to sprinkle on is at the end of the line, instead of near the hot items such as the refried beans or the beef. I like my taco cheese to melt. I hereby believe it should appear right after the hot ingredients, and before the lettuce, tomato, scallions, or whatever that is typically added cold.

Well, currently I'm Home Alone, and so I can make my tacos any way I want. I even took the melting a step further than needed even by me. Why not? Home Alone!

I have two variants today. One contains meat, and the other is vegetarian. I'll post the other one shortly after this one goes up. The ground buffalo/bison here comes from WildIdeaBuffalo.com- a site I found a few years back with range-raised Montana bison. If you are in the US, and want range-raised meats, check them out.

View attachment 40642
Regards ramps: they are an amazing and tasty, and very seasonal allium.

Soft Corn Tacos with Ground Buffalo, Pepper Jack, Ramps, and Microgreens
  • 1/4 pound ground buffalo meat (or whatever you prefer / have).
  • Two soft taco shells (corn tortillas).
  • Two or three ounces of pepper jack (or other meltable) cheese. Shred or finely chop.
  • 2 ramps, chopped.
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (heat level to your preference, I used "medium hot")
  • Salt and pepper to taste. (Keep the salt low - a little is good but you can always add more at the table.)
  • 1 tablespoon butter or cooking oil.
  • A couple small handfuls of fresh microgreens.
This recipe makes two soft tacos per person, and is written up per person.

Prep everything and have it ready. Pull out your skillet, and add a tablespoon of butter/oil. Let it melt at medium heat.

My soft shell tortillas were getting a bit old, so I let them soffen in the skillet, 30 seconds per side. If yours are fresh, skip this step. Remove and set aside.

Break up and grill the ground meat, adding the chili powder, salt and pepper as you pan fry this. Continue to break up, but do not mush. Move to the side.

Ramps and cheese can be cooked briefly in the skillet, another minute, just let the ramps get warm to release flavor (if you DO get ramps with the root bulbs, add that part to the skillet and cook that a minute longer). Remove skillet from burner/hob.

Add the meat to each tortilla, half of this to each one, as a central line.

Add the ramps and cheese atop that central line.

Grab those microgreens, and top. If you have or want salsa or guacamole or sour cream - that's seriously traditional.

Fold and eat with any aforementioned toppings. Serious simple yummers!

I'm with you on the melted cheese as well, daughter makes tacos a bit here as well. I always put cheese in first then warm meat then salad etc. I also zap it in the microwave for 10 or 15 secs to ensure its warm.

Russ

It depends on the dish for me, regarding cheese. Tacos and cheeseburgers, I don't want the cheese melted. Eggs, I want the cheese melted.

It depends on the dish for me, regarding cheese. Tacos and cheeseburgers, I don't want the cheese melted. Eggs, I want the cheese melted.

I at least want some of the cheese melted in tacos. As for burgers, all melted - and if I'm using a bun, I want that toasted. (I usually prefer to opt for a lettuce wrap, which of course is not toasted....)

Buns...it depends on the burger (yeah, I'm fussy). A straight-up no-fuss cheeseburger, no toasting, I want soft and squishy. When it's more of a gourmet burger, though, I want it toasted.

Of course, if you put a burger in front of me, I'm going to eat it either way! :)

Back
Top Bottom