Something completely different.

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:34 PM
Some of you may know that the native Maori used to cook their food in the ground, basically a hot fire with volcanic stones or lately pieces of metal heated up, put in the hole then baskets of meat and veges put on top, then wet sacks on top then covered in dirt to seal. Leave 4 hrs then have a great feed.
I have a kiwi version called a honky hangi, it copies the process but less labour intensive, but still tender melt in the mouth meat and veges.
It's basically a 44 gallon drum that is able to be sealed.theres a 4mmhole about 5 inches up from the bottom. You fil the drum with water up to the hole, then place meat on racks that are fitted to the inside of the drum. Then veges on top. Seal the drum and light the double burner., when the steam stops pouring out the drill hole it's ready. I havnt done one in a couple of years but I will do one when things get back to,normal here.
Pics are the drum and burner. You have to imagine the rest.
Russ

Can't find pic of the burner, I'll do it later.

I think I've seen this approach in more than 1 movie before, except they used a garbage can lol

The other thing about putting it into the ground is that the earth gives it a unique flavor. While not too common, there's a dish in China called beggar chicken, where you wrap the whole chicken with dirt and pack it tightly, then throw it into a flame to cook for a few hours. When done, just rip off the outer layer and out comes a pretty aromatic piece of meat.

1595722248474.png

Back
Top Bottom