3 Fresh Juniper Berries
380 g Apples
800g Rhubarb
300ml Filtered Water
1g Liquoeice Powder
7g Liqourice Syrup
3g Angelica Seeds
15 Red Wood Ants(Formica Rufa)
Seasonal herbs( Wood Sorrel, Lemon Verbana, Nasturtium, etc)

Directions
  1. Pour the water, lemon juice and gin into a bowl. Add the juniper berries
  2. Using an apple corer, cut the the apples into 12 cylinders of different lengths, using a knife to cut the ends flat. Place the the apple cylinders in the bowl, to infuse the liquid, and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
  3. Meanwhile, wash and remove the leaves from the rhubarb stalks. Juicing the stalks in a juicer.
  4. Pour the juice into a pot, bringing to the boil and skimming off any foam.
  5. Strain the liquid through a thin colander into a bowl. Into which you add the liquorice powder and liquorice syrup, filtered water and angelica seeds. Mixing together.
  6. Allow to cool and pour into a plastic container, with a lid and keep in a refrigerator until required.
To Serve
Using a small pasta cutter, cut the seasonal herbs into small, round confetti..
Pour the rhubarb juice into into bowls. Place three apple cylinders, of various heights into the centre of each bowl. Top with the confetti, plus one or two ants.

Note:
The ants add an intensely sour sour and citrussy note to this dish.

I would like to try the ants though. In noma, Copenhagen - the World's Best Restaurant (quote, unquote) they serve Shimaebi (striped shrimp) adorned with nothing but ants. Ant venom contains formic acid, and (apparently) its a bit like a vesicle of lemon bursting in your mouth.

I would like to try the ants though. In noma, Copenhagen - the World's Best Restaurant (quote, unquote) they serve Shimaebi (striped shrimp) adorned with nothing but ants. Ant venom contains formic acid, and (apparently) its a bit like a vesicle of lemon bursting in your mouth.
Same place supply the ants as the gin.

I know that Thais use red ants in some of their dishes so I've likely eaten some but I personally would not cook with them.

Back
Top Bottom