Something slightly more Aussie: Bogong moths

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:14 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Yep, they are in the news here. The Canberra Times featured them yesterday. Bushtucker food and it is less available this year than normal.

Apparently the caterpillars don't like the cold, so they live lower down where it is warmer and obviously have to hibernate over winter. They hibernate in soil which this year has flooded drowning rather a lot of them. And also it has been colder than normal, so they haven't survived the freezing winter weather (we get snow not far from where I am, and I have had it here this year as well). So the caterpillars haven't emerged as moths and swarmed into the colder mountains - the moths don't like the warmer weather! There is still snow in the Snowy Mountains and it should have melted by now from what I can gather. So it is a case that the swarms that usually come past haven't...

More can be read here, http://www.canberratimes.com.au/env...erfood-swarming-canberra-20161102-gsg284.html

But as a superfood, (defined as a nutrient dense food here by me!), would you want to try them? Apparently they taste "charred pork fat" or "bit nutty in flavour". Aborigines who used to migrate to the mountains to feast on these moths and it was noted that
their skin would be shining, they would have put on a lot of weight and they looked really healthy and it was generally felt it was from the health benefits of eating the moth, they became very healthy after they had their ceremony.

Do you fancy any for some good skin or do you reckon the fresh mountain air and a good long walk had more to do with it? I think I might pass on that delicacy.

Yep, they are in the news here. The Canberra Times featured them yesterday. Bushtucker food and it is less available this year than normal.

Apparently the caterpillars don't like the cold, so they live lower down where it is warmer and obviously have to hibernate over winter. They hibernate in soil which this year has flooded drowning rather a lot of them. And also it has been colder than normal, so they haven't survived the freezing winter weather (we get snow not far from where I am, and I have had it here this year as well). So the caterpillars haven't emerged as moths and swarmed into the colder mountains - the moths don't like the warmer weather! There is still snow in the Snowy Mountains and it should have melted by now from what I can gather. So it is a case that the swarms that usually come past haven't...

More can be read here, http://www.canberratimes.com.au/env...erfood-swarming-canberra-20161102-gsg284.html

But as a superfood, (defined as a nutrient dense food here by me!), would you want to try them? Apparently they taste "charred pork fat" or "bit nutty in flavour". Aborigines who used to migrate to the mountains to feast on these moths and it was noted that

Do you fancy any for some good skin or do you reckon the fresh mountain air and a good long walk had more to do with it? I think I might pass on that delicacy.
Can you send some, research purposes you understand.

Back
Top Bottom