Recipe Souffle with gruyere cheese and corn puree

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:38 PM
I didn't realize until I was ready to cook it that my smallest souffle dish was too big for this recipe so my souffle just made it to the top of the dish and didn't rise above. It was still good!

2018-05-29 18.29.52.jpg

2018-05-29 18.29.21.jpg

1-1/2 quart souffle dish
Unsalted butter for rubbing
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for coating
Salt
4-5 ears of corn, shucked
1/4 pound thickly sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch strips
1 cup milk
Freshly ground pepper
3 large egg yolks (reserve the whites for use as below)
2 cups shredded gruyere cheese (about 6 ounces)
1/2 tsp chopped thyme
6 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously butter a 1-1/2-quart soufflé dish and coat with the Parmesan.

Place corn in a steamer basket over boiling salted water in a saucepan and steam just until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain

Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp.

Remove the corn from the steamer basket and let cool until handleable. Cut the corn kernels from the cobs until you have 2-1/2 cups. Place 2 cups of the kernels in the same saucepan and add the milk. Over moderate heat, simmer until the milk has reduced by one-third, about 5-7 minutes. Let cook for a few minutes. Place the corn and milk mixture into a blender and puree until very smooth. Pour the puree, scraping out of the blender with a spatula, back into the saucepan and stir in the bacon and the remaining 1/2 cup of corn kernels. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Beat the egg yolks and temper by stirring some of the corn/milk puree into them. Add the egg yolks to the rest of the mixture and stirr. Add gruyere and thyme. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool to room temperature.

Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt at high speed in a large stainless or copper bowl until they hold firm peaks. Stir one-third of the whites into the corn base to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining whites until just blended. You want some streaks of white to remain. Scrape the mixture into the prepared soufflé dish and bake for 45 minutes, or until nicely browned and slightly jiggly in the center. Serve right away.

Last edited:
Pour the puree, scraping out of the blender with a spatula, back into the saucepan and stir in the bacon and the remaining 1/2 cup of corn kernels. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

So inside the soufflé there are pieces of corn and bacon? That would be lovely, but why don't they stop the soufflé rising? I was just thinking of your earlier post re @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's husband's soufflé problem.

I've only made soufflés with puréed vegetables so far...

They are individual kernels of corn, 1/2 cup only, and the bacon is crumbled up pretty finely, so there are no "large lumps."

They are individual kernels of corn, 1/2 cup only, and the bacon is crumbled up pretty finely, so there are no "large lumps."

I was wondering about the bacon - the recipe said 3 inch strips so I was imagining that!

I'm really liking the idea of crumbled bacon in soufflé. This is giving me new ideas. :D

I'm making sometime soon as well, but not with vegetables in it, just cheese. I don't get putting broccoli or corn in a soufflé?

Russ

Vegetables in soufflé is based on French classic cooking but most classic soufflés wouldn't contain pieces of vegetables. Spinach (puréed) is a classic version, I think. Broccoli really needs to be puréed too, if used. Cheese of course is delicious in soufflés!

Back
Top Bottom