Sourdough Starter: Day 01

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:53 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Sourdough Starter: Day 01

Right, hopefully you all decided that premixing your flour had benefits... It doesn't have to be an airtight jar like mine is. Because of where I live (rurally so think of mice, ants, etc) I keep all of my produce out of pests' way. And IKEA do these kilner like jars very cheaply so when we moved to Australia we raided IKEA.

A note on flour. You can just set your starter going with wholemeal flour only. But it does and will affect the taste of your sourdough loaf in the long run. A lot of the taste comes from the great and good bacteria found on rye grain (and hence rye flour). So it makes sense to include rye flour in your starter mix otherwise you'll be missing out on a whole load of flavourful loaders and good bacteria from day 1. And just because your starter has rye flour in it , doesn't mean that the loaf you cook on any particular day has to have rye flour in it.

Ingredients
20g flour (always assume organic and 50:50 mix wholemeal: rye)
20g spring/mineral water

Equipment
1 sterile teaspoon
Scales

Method
  • Nice and easy today: weigh 20g flour mix and 20g spring/mineral water into your Day 0 starter and mix in well with that sterile teaspoon. Done.
Hygiene
Try to keep the sides of the jar and seal free of any flour or flour mix because they increase the risk of contamination especially if you get the starter mix around the jar top or on the seal. We don't want to increase the risks of things going bad early on.

Day 1.
Because it's cold here where I live (winter in Australia with no central heating and only a wood burning stove for heating, I'm keeping my jar of starter on the mantelshelf.

20190730_141109.jpg
There could possibly be the first signs of bubbles.

My Loch Rannoch (Highlands of Scotland) starter was active by day 1! See here. (I've since had to start again after moving to Australia.)
DSC_0018b.JPG

Blimey! I added the flour and water (less water as I think my mix was too liquid yesterday). I managed to stir it in until smooth (it had a few lumps yesterday). That was this afternoon. I just looked at it (midnight) and its more than tripled in size. Its gone bonkers! I suppose its good but it seems to want to climb out of the jar.

I'll post photos tomorrow.

Blimey! I added the flour and water (less water as I think my mix was too liquid yesterday). I managed to stir it in until smooth (it had a few lumps yesterday). That was this afternoon. I just looked at it (midnight) and its more than tripled in size. Its gone bonkers! I suppose its good but it seems to want to climb out of the jar.

I'll post photos tomorrow.
Checks it smells ok. I've never had that so quickly.

No heating on - but its around 23 - 25 C in the house as its so warm outside. So that might explain it? Just checked thermometer next to jar and its 25 C.

So tomorrow - do I follow the Day 2 instructions?
That would explain it.
Feed again, then cut to new and 1tsp of starter over (nothing accurate about the 1 tsp, just taking a small quantity over, and teaspoon used to be sterile), so yes to day 2 but keep an eye on it, you may need to intervene at 12hrs after feed, you want it well established.

Back
Top Bottom