Sous vide recommendations

Alright Kitchen gadget lovers, I have $100 to spend at Costco, I'm thinking to put it towards a Sous Vide cooker. Any thoughts?

Alright Kitchen gadget lovers, I have $100 to spend at Costco, I'm thinking to put it towards a Sous Vide cooker. Any thoughts?

I have one, but I haven't used it yet. :whistling:

I have the Anova Nano and it’s suited me well for a couple of years. Not sure if this brand is available where you are but it seems to be one of the market leaders out here.

Right now it’s about 27 hours into doing some duck confit. :)

View attachment 69718

Emeril Laggase used to do that on his show Essence of Emeril, but he did it in the oven. How did it come out? :whistling:

Blimey! That's a long slow cook.

There are some really long cooking times for some meats. I've only done one 24 hour cook. It was meant to replace a braise. I didn't find the cook time worth it over a three or four hour braise. It was certainly tender and juicy, and it had good flavor, but not any better than a much shorter braise, IMO.

The things I cook sous vide most often are steaks and pork chops. That's the only way I cook those meats now.

CD

Emeril Laggase used to do that on his show Essence of Emeril, but he did it in the oven. How did it come out? :whistling:
I did some once with the sous vide. It tasted the same. Only thing was it couldn't be kept as long as traditional confit because you don't use anywhere near the same amount of fat which retards spoilage.

We have the Anova Nano too. I bought a silicone pot topper for it that fits around the wand perfectly so you don't have to use foil and/or plastic wrap.

Anova is the market leader in the US, too. I have one -- not the Nano.

View attachment 69743

CD
I once ordered this to go with my Inkbird sous vide. It never came!! Just the lid came. Got charged for it but never received the container!! It was through a 3rd-party seller. They cheat you out of your money & won't send you the merchandise!!! 😡

I once ordered this to go with my Inkbird sous vide. It never came!! Just the lid came. Got charged for it but never received the container!! It was through a 3rd-party seller. They cheat you out of your money & won't send you the merchandise!!! 😡

I got mine through AceMart, a restaurant supply store. They have a store not far from me, but I ordered online. They sent the wrong size, and when I called them, they sent the right size, and told me to keep the wrong one, which I actually use quite a bit. Bonus!

You would love wandering through an AcMart store. It would be like a Toys-R-Us for you. :hyper:

https://www.acemart.com

CD

I have done it the traditional way (using loads of duck fat) a couple of times and to me, the results via sous vide method are indistinguishable. I'll show it later when it's ready.

Last edited:
There are some really long cooking times for some meats. I've only done one 24 hour cook. It was meant to replace a braise. I didn't find the cook time worth it over a three or four hour braise. It was certainly tender and juicy, and it had good flavor, but not any better than a much shorter braise, IMO.

The things I cook sous vide most often are steaks and pork chops. That's the only way I cook those meats now.

CD

I'm going to try the 'higher temp/shorter time' way for this duck next time. While the main effort is in prepping, seasoning and vacuum bagging the duck and the remainder of the time is just letting it whirr away quietly for a day and half, I'm not super keen on having that much hot water sitting around taking up so much counter real estate for so long.

Re: steaks - me too. Works for me every time now and before that cooking a steak was a dreaded thing in my house.

I did some once with the sous vide. It tasted the same. Only thing was it couldn't be kept as long as traditional confit because you don't use anywhere near the same amount of fat which retards spoilage.

This is sort of true, but I freeze a bunch and it's fine. This time I cooked 8 duck legs, 4 of which will be our dinner tonight and 4 will be frozen and eaten within a month. :)

Another added bonus is not having to store and deal with a load of duck fat and have your whole house smell of it for a couple of days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom