Recipe "Southern Greens"

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
11:38 PM
I have lovely mustard greens in my garden boxes. George :love:'s mustard greens.

He is fishing this weekend. Tomorrow I will harvest mustard leaves and make a mess of Southern Mustard Greens.

INGREDIENTS

1 large hard boiled egg - chopped
1 slice thick cut Applewood smoked bacon cut into 1" pieces
1 lb. or more - fresh mustard greens
1 TBSP. butter
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Wash the greens to remove grit
Strain in a colander
Cook bacon low and slow in a sauté pan until crisp
Remove bacon from pan and reserve.
Add greens to hot bacon drippings
Toss until greens are just wilted - not mushy
Remove greens to a bowl
Add 1 TBSP. room temperature butter to greens
Toss to coat.
Toss with chopped, boiled egg and bacon bits
Taste
Add sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Options:

Add 1 clove minced garlic or 1 Tsp. roasted garlic to bacon drippings before adding greens. Cook until just fragrant then add greens

Add 1/4 cup sliced green onions - whites and greens - to drippings at the same time as the greens

Top with grated Parmesan Reggiano

Any or all options

1 lb. greens will provide a serving for each of us.

Last edited:
We haven't tried them this way, @ElizabethB, but it sounds good. I've only made the long-simmer kind so that we can have a generous amount of pot likker.

We actually had greens with our baked ham tonight, but I used only reserved bacon grease for cooking (and stock), no bacon tonight. When hubby came into the kitchen while I was prepping dinner, he saw a pile of greens on the cutting board, a bigger pile of greens drying in a kitchen towel, and an even bigger pile of greens spilling out of the colander. He asked "enough greens?" and walked away chuckling. When we were ready to eat, I told him to take the lid off of my 4-quart Staub pot. Sure enough, it was only half-filled with cooked greens! He's always amazed at how little we have from all that I clean and chop. I don't care - it's worth it in the end. :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom