Veteran
Local time
2:37 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Southern Style Pickled Shrimp (or Prawns):

pickled-shrimp-main.jpg

Pickled shrimp, ready for the fridge.

This recipe is based, with some changes, from: Southern Style Pickled Shrimp, which is found at the Kitchn website.

I subbed pearl onions in for Vidalia (I had the former dying to be used), and EVOO for canola. WHY the Kitchn went with canola is a mystery to me! I used dill seed as it turns out there’s no celery seed in my extensive herb/spice collection. Some concentrations have been slightly modified.

These are refrigerator pickles, not meant for long term canning. (Long term canning for seafood would entail pressure canning for safety, and I fear the shrimp would be ruined texture and taste-wise in the process. Shrimp Mush, anyone?)

This could be a good topping for a salad, and the extra marinate works nicely as a dressing.

PS: Why don’t I recommend you NOT use pre-cooked shrimp from the supermarket? For me, I taste a funky aftertaste. This is possibly from their having sat around at the store for a few hours before being taken home, to sit around again for a few more hours prior to use. It’s still “good” as in not bad for you – but it just goes, well, funky-tasting. Or, maybe they over-cook them. Whatever, I just don’t do it.

I also recommend only purchasing wild-caught shrimp. If curious, do read up on the multi-tragic toll of southeast Asian shrimp factory farms on both the environment and on the health of the people working in them.

Prep Time: 10 minutes.
Cook Time: About 2 minutes.
Rest Time: Until cooled, about 15 minutes.
Marinating Time: 12 hours minimum.
Serves: Depends on appetizer or salad topping. 3-6.
Cuisine: Southern USA.
Leftovers: Will last in fridge up to five days.

Southern Style Pickled Shrimp
  • Half a pound / 225 grams of raw shrimp, neither jumbo nor tiny.
  • About 10 non-pickled but peeled pearl onions, or 1/2 Vidalia onion. I used the former.
  • 1/2 lemon, thin-sliced.
  • 0.4 cup / 95 mL apple cider vinegar
  • 0.25 cup / 60 mL extra virgin olive oil.
  • 1/8 cup / 30 mL capers with their juices
  • 0.5 teaspoon or 0.25 teaspoon celery seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Splash of hot sauce, to taste. I used Cholula.
You can cook and then peel/devein your shrimp (as I did), or peel/devein and then cook. You can purchase your shrimp already peeled – but do remove the tail shell that is often left on. Note pre-shelled usually costs more per pound. (AVOID PRE-COOKED shrimp.)

You can steam or simmer your shrimp. Length of time will depend on size of shrimp – anywhere from 90 seconds to 2 minutes if simmered, but you can add up to 30 seconds longer if steamed. Rinse and cool, room temperature is fine.

Slice the onion/s. Vidalia should be thin-sliced, and pearls can be trisected.

In a bowl, combine all ingredients. tossing. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 12 hours, occasionally re-mixing.

Serve, either with toothpicks or skewers, or use as a salad topping, providing a large spoon for family/guests to drizzle dressing as needed on their salads. Add this as a topping just prior to serving, if you do add it to a salad - in order to keep greens from wilting.

Back
Top Bottom