Recipe & Video Spaghetti Carbonara with pancetta

Hungry Man

Local time
8:34 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
I know the very traditional carbonara recipe requires Guanciale, but as it is a bit hard to find, I used pancetta instead. I also used a bit of garlic which was later discarded.
(just for a bit of flavor). I think it is still authentic enough, but next time I will try to find Guanciale and will also use pecorino instead of parmesan.
Hope you will enjoy the recipe:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5xYFKDVMx8

Ingredients:
- Dry spaghetti, 200g
- Panchetta or Guanciale (if you can find it), 100 g
- 3 eggs
- Pecorino or parmesan cheese, 50g - grated
- 1 clove garlic
- Olive oil, 1tbsp
- Black pepper and salt to season

Method:
- Chop the pancetta into smaller pieces
- Beat 2 whole eggs + 1 yolk together with black pepper, parmesan
- Crush 1 clove of garlic
- Bring water to boil in a deep pot and add the spaghetti (we will cook for 8-9 minutes, try to keep the pasta "al dente")
- In the meantime, add oil to a pan and immediately add pancetta without heating the oil
- Once the oil is hot, add crushed garlic
- Sear the pancetta and cook until crispy and brown, discard the garlic
- Once the pasta is al dente and pancetta is crispy and brown, turn off the stoves
- Wait until the pan is cooled down a bit and then add the pasta together with plenty of pasta water
- Stir well to infuse the flavors and as the pan is not hot (but warm), the eggs will not be cooked but will form a creamy texture
- Season with some more black pepper and enjoy!

I’m glad you want to try Carbonara with guanciale next time. I have to say that sometimes when I ran out of it, I use pancetta as well (the smoked one)

Sorry if I ask, but I didn’t get the point where you put pancetta in the not heated oil.

I’m glad you want to try Carbonara with guanciale next time. I have to say that sometimes when I ran out of it, I use pancetta as well (the smoked one)

Sorry if I ask, but I didn’t get the point where you put pancetta in the not heated oil.
I used to cook the pancetta with the oil heated, then I tried adding it before the oil is heated up and I found out that the fat and the flavor is much better infused that way. I think I saw this technique in one of G. Contaldo's recipes.

I used to cook the pancetta with the oil heated, then I tried adding it before the oil is heated up and I found out that the fat and the flavor is much better infused that way. I think I saw this technique in one of G. Contaldo's recipes.

Oh ok I see, thank you
In Italy we usually don’t use oil for frying up guanciale or pancetta because their fat are enough.. just a new info 😊

I can't find guanciale anywhere near me. I have a recipe to make it, but haven't done it. I use pancetta, or in a pinch, good old American bacon. Not authentic, but still very good.

CD

Back
Top Bottom