Recipe Spaghetti Carbonara

ally79

Veteran
Local time
5:01 PM
We are pretty big pasta fans around here, especially because you can make a filling meal inexpensively. I found this recipe for Spaghetti Carbonara and it was super easy and delicious. I won't say it was cheap because bacon is kind of pricey around here! :)

Ingredients
    • 1 pound spaghetti
    • 8 ounces (8 slices) bacon, cut 1 inch thick crosswise
    • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    • 3 large eggs
    • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
    • 1/2 cup half-and-half
Directions
  1. Set a large pot of water to boil (for pasta). In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 12 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
  2. Salt boiling water generously; add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package instructions.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Parmesan, and half-and-half. Set aside.
  4. Drain pasta, leaving some water clinging to it. Working quickly, add hot pasta to egg mixture. Add bacon; season with salt and pepper, and toss all to combine (heat from pasta will cook eggs). Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese.

I do this quite often. Quite simple and fast and very delicious. You can also substitute the bacon with ham if you want to. I prefer using bacon but ham also works if you're worried about the price.

I love carbonara! At first, I didn't like it because I thought I wouldn't get used to the taste, but I realized this depends on who makes the dish, haha. Though we use a lot of bacon, so it's really meaty, and we also use other pasta varieties, haha. But sometimes, I love carbonara especially when we make a lot of them - I get to eat more than half the bowl if I'm not careful for my weight, haha.

I love carbonara! I actually have a different method I use but I am not one for measurements I normally just wing it! Instead of using eggs I use a cream base. I know its not exactly the original but I love this if I want a creamy pasta sauce !

I put the pasta on to boil, in salted water, according to the insturctions, of which I used fresh tagliatelle that I bought from the supermarket. Then I chopped an onion and put some oil in a large frying pan. I then added the onion just so much that all the oinion separated in the pan (roughly 1 minute). Keeping the oinion in the pan I added some pieces of smoky bacon that has been cut up into little pieces. I then let that all cook off until the bacon and the oinion both have a bit of colour. I then add in some cream and let it simmer adding in cracked black pepper to taste. I don't normally add salt as the bacon normally makes this dish quite salty so I don't feel the need. However I taste it at the this point and add more cream/ pepper etc to taste. I let it simmer for 3 minutes or so and then I toss in the pasta. Let the pasta heat up for a minute while adding some freshly grated parmesan. Serve and enjoy!

As you can tell I am not one for measuring out. With dishes that I made often or that don't require exact procision I like to just add more or less as everyones tastes are different. I personally don't like a lot of bacon but others do. I like a nice creamy sauce but others might like just a little bit so it isn't extremely dry. I'm sure most people have many methods for making pasta carbonara but this has to be my favourite one of the methods I have tried !

Back
Top Bottom