Recipe Spanish Potato Omelette (Tortilla Española)

Francesca

Local time
10:08 PM
TORTILLAESPAÑOLA2013-09-22%2012.32.58.jpg

In Spain, the humble simple Tapa (appetiser) , ever so popular, the Potato Omelette, the Tortilla Española, is revered & worshipped like a priceless masterpiece of art.

Round, yellow Golden and can be eaten hot or cold.

Recipe:

750 Grams of potatoes ( for frying )
345 Ml. Spanish Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil )
Salt to taste
6 extra large or jumbo sized Eggs

1) Wash the potatoes and peel them into tiny slices. ( lengthwise )
2) Heat the Evoo in a large Deep skillet or frying pan and add the potatoes.
3) Deep fry the potatoes when the Evoo is hot on a médium flame or heat with a lid on, for 25 minutes - 30 minutes until tender .. Stir occasionally.
4) Do not Brown the potatoes. The potato slices should be tender.
5) When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the pan and drain in a colander.
6) Salt the potatoes.
7) Beat the eggs lightly, just enough to combine the whites and the yolks.
8) Add salt to taste.
9) Combine the potatoes with the Eggs.
10) Prepare a skillet with some Evoo, but just enough to cover the base of the skillet
11) Egg the mixture to the hot oil, and shake the skillet to avoid "sticking". Cook for 3 minutes approx. or just until the omelette is set.
12) Cover the pan, with a wide plate or lid and then, holding firmly with the flar part of your hand, turn the pan upside down ..
13) Slide the Omelette from the plate or lid back and into the pan on the other side and cook for approx. 2 minutes until Golden.
14) Depending upon how you prefer your omelettes, if you prefer firm verses a bit runny, then adjust time to 1 minute extra per side ..
15) Place the omelette on paper towelling to drain off the Evoo.
16) Now move the Omelette to a platter or earthenware "cazuela " ( earthenware serving dish )

Serve with: A Salad and a glass of dry White Spanish Wine such as Penedés or Rueda, designation.

Last edited:
This looks simple, and yet sophisticated in a way. Since you're cooking the potatoes for 25-30 minutes, I assume you use raw potatoes in the frying pan in steps 2-3. I think I will give this a try sometime soon. Thanks for sharing!

So often (in the UK) the term 'Spanish omelette' refers to an omelette cooked with anything left over in the the fridge mixed into it. Its good to see it stripped back to basics. :okay:

Last edited:
Her tortilla would go great on our tortillas.
Looks fabulous @Francesca .

@Cinisajoy,

Thank you very much ! It´s simply delicious !

A true Spanish classic .. You could have a corn or wheat tortilla on the side and create mini Tapas if you wish .. Or some great crusty type of baguette or whole wheat country rustic bread or sourdough ..

Have a lovely afternoon / evening ..

Last edited:
So often (in the UK) the term 'Spanish omelette' refers to an omelette cooked with anything left over in the the fridge. Its good to see it stripped back to basics. :okay:

@morning glory

Well this is a true Spanish classic Omelette.

Now, there is a " Campesina " and it has minced onion, minced potato, minced red bell pepper, minced green bell pepper and minced sausage or ham .. More like an Italian Fritatta ..

Give it a try !! You can add onions or veggies if you wish.

Sometimes I add onion and spinach but it changes the name of the Omelette here ! It becomes a Spanish Spinach Omelette ..

Have a lovely evening ..

@The Late Night Gourmet

Yes. I am sure you shall enjoy it !! I serve mine with a light Green salad and a baguette or rustic country whole wheat loaf ..

If you wish, you could add spices ( thyme, oregano or dill ) and onion inside the omelette as well .. Or veggies. This is called a Campesina Omelette, and is a bit like an Italian Fritatta ..

Have a lovely evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed Francesca's recipe exactly: Potatoes. Olive oil. Salt. Eggs. Maybe a few other things.

This is what happens when someone who likes to make things complicated starts with a simple recipe. You may notice that mine does not have quite the elegance of Francesca's beautiful Spanish potato omelette. This is what I'm calling an "Indian omelette". It's essentially a Samosa without a crust.

I realize now that "tiny slices" in the instructions meant that I could have shredded the potato, the way I first wanted to. Instead, these are just thinly sliced pieces of potato, scalloped. So, my "omelette" didn't hold together. Fortunately, it's delicious. I will post a recipe to the appropriate forum once I figure out what I did here.

You may also notice that there are a few peas in this recipe.

IMG_0805.JPG

Last edited:
I rarely cook a "pure" tortilla de patatas - it usually has a few additions. However, it has always been my norm to parboil (about 10 minutes) the potatoes first then allow them to cool before frying with the other stuff. After a few minutes, remove and set aside whilst frying one side of the omelette. Then add the potatoes etc. and fold the omelette over them, cooking for a further few minutes.

I followed Francesca's recipe exactly: Potatoes. Olive oil. Salt. Eggs. Maybe a few other things.

This is what happens when someone who likes to make things complicated starts with a simple recipe. You may notice that mine does not have quite the elegance of Francesca's beautiful Spanish potato omelette. This is what I'm calling an "Indian omelette". It's essentially a Samosa without a crust.

I realize now that "tiny slices" in the instructions meant that I could have shredded the potato, the way I first wanted to. Instead, these are just thinly sliced pieces of potato, scalloped. So, my "omelette" didn't hold together. Fortunately, it's delicious. I will post a recipe to the appropriate forum once I figure out what I did here.

View attachment 8451

@The Late Night Gourmet

Wow .. Not quite a Tortilla Española, however, looks fabulous .. Yes, please do post your récipe. And the potatoes in a Spanish Omelette are never grated or shredded and the Spanish Omelette has a firmness and holds together very well. I should have photograghed a slice as well .. But my Cell Tablet Photos need to be put on a Pen Drive .. I must do this over weekend ..

Thanks for posting. Glad my Spanish classic inspired you !!!

Have a lovely day ..

I rarely cook a "pure" tortilla de patatas - it usually has a few additions. However, it has always been my norm to parboil (about 10 minutes) the potatoes first then allow them to cool before frying with the other stuff. After a few minutes, remove and set aside whilst frying one side of the omelette. Then add the potatoes etc. and fold the omelette over them, cooking for a further few minutes.

@Yorky

In a classic Spanish Omelette is not necessary to par boil the potatoes and it is not done in Spain. I have spoken to many Tapa Bar Owners / Chefs for their récipes and they all are the same as my family prepares it ..

It could be a good idea to par boil but then you lack the firmness of the classic .. This is more of a Fritatta in style and preparation than a French Omelette which is prepared flat and folded over in longitude ..

When it comes to Spanish Cuisine, I prefer the classics that have been around for centuries.

It is a very old Tapa that dates back to Medieval times, to substitute meats for The Lent from February through Easter Sunday.

The Classic is not spicy. It is not prepared with vegetables nor is it prepared in any other way ..

In Modern Society, there are renovations of the Spanish Omelette for example the Campesina ( Country Omelette ) which is more like an Italian Fritatta, with minced red bell, minced potatoes, minced green bell, minced ham or sausage ..

Have a lovely day and Thank you.

View attachment 8451

It looks to me as if there isn't enough egg to hold it together. 750g is quite a lot of potatoes - even though there are 6 eggs.

It looks to me as if there isn't enough egg to hold it together. 750g is quite a lot of potatoes - even though there are 6 eggs.

In my pathetic attempt the other day I used 1/2 a medium potato (about 120 gms I'd guess) but with other bits; to 3 chicken eggs. The rest of the potato joined another for the chips accompanying my filet Mignon the day after.

Back
Top Bottom