Speedy Up & Down Arrows

Shadow

Sommelier
Local time
12:07 AM
storrington; via montreal, horsham, toronto
On another Forum, Shaun has a small white on orange arrow in the bottom right corner which whisks you to the bottom or top of the page, depending on which you click on.

Is it possible to have this created on this Forum, please?

@SatNavSaysStraightOn would need to look at that and she is in hospital at the moment. However, if you are anywhere except at the top of a page, there is a 'top' button on the far left of the green tool bar which will whizz you to the top of the page.

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 09.45.04.png

@SatNavSaysStraightOn would need to look at that and she is in hospital at the moment. However, if you are anywhere except at the top of a page, there is a 'top' button on the far left of the green tool bar which will whizz you to the top of the page.

View attachment 16934
Not present at present, unless I go to the top of the page. Which sorta defeats the purpose of it being there.

Been like this for some months.

The top button is there for me til i click into the dialog box to type and the top button and the menu that is with it disappears, but reappears if i scroll back up. If it helps narrow down the problem, i am on an ipad using safari as a browser.

The top button is there for me til i click into the dialog box to type and the top button and the menu that is with it disappears, but reappears if i scroll back up. If it helps narrow down the problem, i am on an ipad using safari as a browser.

Do you mean if you start typing to reply to this, for example, that the 'top' button disappears? Its not doing that for me - as you can see from this screenshot taken whist I was typing this:

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 11.11.23.png

Are you able to take a screenshot of what happens? I am also using Safari (on a Macbook Pro).

Here is what the screen looks like while reading the posts:

239A4866-CB67-4CC4-9086-F3747FB43BE9.png

And here when i tap the box to start typing:

36CB882F-C7B2-4D1E-AC0D-6F1D114FD538.png

It's there on my laptop but disappears if I open a new tab or a duplicate tab. It is not on my Windows phone or my Android phone at all. They all have "Forums" as the top left tab but the bar disappears as I scroll up or down. On my tablet, "Top" is not there when I first log on, but appears when I scroll up or down.

Yes, i don't find it much of a problem as all i have to do is scroll back up a bit and it reappears. Tho having a 'to the bottom' button at the top would be handy when wanting to respond to a very long page of threads. But it sounds like th o.p. Doesn't have the bar at all...maybe they'll come back and tell you what system and browser they are running.

On lark i just gave it a look see on my android phone. When cookingbites is loaded while the phone is upright the top line goes away when you scroll but if you rotate the phone so its horizontal the top line stays with your scrolling. So i am betting the o.p. Has an android phone and viewing in the upright orientation perhaps.

...so you are losing all of the green toolbar when you start typing?

Yes, i don't find it much of a problem as all i have to do is scroll back up a bit and it reappears. Tho having a 'to the bottom' button at the top would be handy when wanting to respond to a very long page of threads. But it sounds like th o.p. Doesn't have the bar at all...maybe they'll come back and tell you what system and browser they are running.

On lark i just gave it a look see on my android phone. When cookingbites is loaded while the phone is upright the top line goes away when you scroll but if you rotate the phone so its horizontal the top line stays with your scrolling. So i am betting the o.p. Has an android phone and viewing in the upright orientation perhaps.

The O.P. can see the toolbar. He posted to say thanks here. I think he had just not realised the 'top' button was there. Its @classic33 who doesn't see it (I think). I don't know if he can rotate his device to horizontal.

I will ask @SatNavSaysStraightOn (site owner) about installing a 'to the bottom' button when she is back out of hospital. Might be a little while. Thanks for your help on this.

The O.P. can see the toolbar. He posted to say thanks here. I think he had just not realised the 'top' button was there. Its @classic33 who doesn't see it (I think). I don't know if he can rotate his device to horizontal.

I will ask @SatNavSaysStraightOn (site owner) about installing a 'to the bottom' button when she is back out of hospital. Might be a little while. Thanks for your help on this.
Why turn a widescreen monitor?

But the same device turned sideways(Widescreen). Top Button still missing.
Photo0064.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not able to do anything for at least a month or so right now. I literally had major surgery on Friday with my neck being broken in 2 places a vertebra partially removed, reconstructed, a double spinal fusion and so on... because my spinal cord and ask if the major nerve roots were severely compressed. So I'm not in any position right now to make changes to the forum for a while.

I also do not have a top button option when on my android phone. I use opera as my browser.

I'm loathed to go off and install new options at present because I'm looking at taking the forum over to the new XenForo platform in the near future and anything installed now will be lost on the new platform and not necessarily compatible with it either tendering time and cost lost.

A lot of what people are reporting here is platform dependent as well as version and browser dependent and on top of all of that orientation dependant as @morning glory has pointed out.

My browser will give a browser (not CookingBites) related up and down arrow for quick navigation if the screen if flicked rapidly up or down. The button arrives on the right hand side momentarily around the middle of the screen. I can't screenshot it because it disappears when the screen is stationary.

A quick test has just shown that the top button option is there in the landscape view, not portrait which would suggest a resolution issue.

I can only say I'll look at it and see what can be done, but not make any promises at this stage. I'd rather save the money to purchase new features once we are are the new version of XenForo. Sadly the forum isn't active enough yet to be self supporting financially.

Back
Top Bottom