Spice Shops in the UK

Amateur1

Local time
12:26 PM
For people in the UK these spices shops may be useful.

The Spice Shop
Spice Mountain

I went to the Spice shop on Sunday and had a really good conversation about (you guessed it) chocolate quinoa and pizza.

He gave me this advice by email.

Currently we do not have any wattle seeds in stock, but there are a few things I can recommend that might enhance your quinoa porridge recipe.
Spice wise what I find pairs best with chocolate are things like Tonka beans, grains of paradise and chilli.
Tonka beans are also called Venezuelan vanilla and tastes like a cross between vanilla and marzipan. You would use it like you would nutmeg and grate a little into the quinoa when you add your chocolate.
Grains of paradise taste like a mild sweet pepper. Grind a little and add towards the end to add a little warmth to your porridge. Pairs well with cinnamon.
If you're feeling a little adventurous, you could replace the paprika and use a mild chilli such as the New Mexican Chilli powder which in the colder months can add a touch of warmth and pairs well with chocolate.
I would also suggest using a different type of chocolate, I find green and blacks has too much acidity and not much flavour. There are some great chocolates available but personally I would recommend a nice Peruvian or Mexican cocoa powder. He thinks Tony's is better than Green and Blacks.

Both these sources are expensive, especially the Indian spices. I bought some ajwain seeds in a grocery in Wandsworth for less than £2: that´s about 60% cheaper than the Spice Shop. Borough Market is also way over the top price-wise.
I know all about Tonka beans because I´m Venezuelan; they´re called "Sarrapia" over there. Not only do we use them for our excellent (but unfortunately a little rare) Venezuelan chocolate, but also for sweets, desserts and even meat / fish dishes.
You might also like to try using:
Nutmeg
Cumin seeds
Sweet chiles
chilpotle/morita peppers
Smoked sea salt
coconut
ginger
Confit lemon/orange peel

Tonka beans are very interesting. Expensive but interesting. Personally I don't think they taste of vanilla but I can detect the the marzipan notes. Like karadekoolaid, I've used them in sweet and savoury dishes. Here is my no churn black ice-cream. You can make this minus the 'bamboo' and it will work just as well. You could also add chocolate chips.

Recipe Tonka Bean and Bamboo Charcoal Ice-cream (no churn):

Does anyone know where I can get some wattle spice. None of the shops I mentioned sell it. It's supposed to go well with cacao.
How many Tonka beans should I use with my chocolate quinoa recipe? They had some in the spice shop.

I'm experimenting with other spices, but this is the basic recipe.

Ingredients

83 g quinoa raw (1 500g packet divided into 6)
220 ml water
140 ml (0.25 pints) milk,
3 tbsp (23g) cacao powder
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp Truvia
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
0.25 tsp salt
18g dark chocolate (6 squares Green and Blacks 85% - vary according to preferences)
1 tbsp Tahina

Instructions

Boil the quinoa then simmer the quinoa in water for 14 minutes as I find the quinoa does not become translucent when boiled in milk.
Add milk, turn the heat back up making sure to turn down the gas before it bubbles over (about 2 minutes)
Add dark chocolate
Once chocolate has melted, switch off gas for 1 minute.
Add remaining ingredients, stir vigorously and serve. Add more milk if necessary.

How many Tonka beans should I use with my chocolate quinoa recipe?
Don´t even dream of "how many".
Tonka beans need to be grated. Just like nutmegs. You need just 1/8th tsp for your concoction above
Tonka beans contain cumarin - an essential ingredient in rat poison.
Mind you, you´d have to eat 4 or 5 tonka beans to suffer any poisoning.

I wouldn't know how to measure 1/8th of a teaspoon. Take half a teaspoon on a plate and divide it into four? Not that I'll be bothering though anyway, given that it's poisonous.

I wouldn't know how to measure 1/8th of a teaspoon. Take half a teaspoon on a plate and divide it into four? Not that I'll be bothering though anyway, given that it's poisonous.
Some sets of measuring spoons come with a 1/8th one, which I’d find handy because I halve so many recipes.

If I’m being particular, I’ll use a 1/4 tsp and just half-fill it, but most of the time, it’s just a small pinch for me.

I tried it with some porridge oats mixed with water and milk. By the time it was ready the taste had completely gone.
I'm assuming the water gets rid of the taste. Another example of how I'm using my chocolate quinoa recipe or concoction (what's the difference) to learn more general things about cooking.

Just a few "grates" on the grater.
And it´s not "poisonous", anymore than nutmeg, cinnamon, aubergine, peach kernels or cashew nuts are "poisonous". UNLESS it´s consumed in ridiculous amounts.

I tried it with some porridge oats mixed with water and milk. By the time it was ready the taste had completely gone.
I'm assuming the water gets rid of the taste.
Water only dilutes the flavour, it doesn´t get rid of it. If I were you, I´d add the tonka bean just before you serve, rather than cooking it into the dish.

Thanks karadekoolaid , I added the tonka with the chocolate and again hardly tasted anything. Next time, I'll try adding it with the cacao etc.

Back
Top Bottom