Spice up red sauce with salad dressing

Pat

Veteran
Local time
2:43 AM
I made spaghetti sauce last night but there were no seasonings to add to the sauce. I had some italian parmasean salad dressing in the refrig. I like to try new things and needed to add something to the sauce. About a 1/2 cup of the salad dressing and the meal was a hit.

Sounds like a really good idea, and I can see how it would work. Italian dressing has a bit of everything you'd need to spice things up. I've made other recipes before that called for a bit of dressing, and it really helped to put a little "zing" into the taste.

It's a time to add to my larder situation , you can get dried herbs whole spices or ground , and pasta sauces can be very forgiving
A pinch of smoked paprika can give the sauce depth and smoky taste, but you are on the right lines to experiment

My first reaction to this was "Ew?" because I would never think to add salad dressing to red sauce because they're totally different. But thinking about it now, it does kind of make sense. Especially if you're adding a Parmesan salad dressing because parmesan mixes well with red sauce. This is interesting though. And I agree! It we be nice to know what was in the salad dressing you used.

I'd be interested to find out more about the dressing too - definitions do vary wildly here in the UK. Also, what on earth is "red sauce"? Is it just Bolognese or tomato sauce?

Back
Top Bottom