Recipe Spiced Guinness eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:25 PM
These spicy eggs are addictive and versatile. You could simply eat them as they are for a snack. Or maybe stuff them for an appetiser. I used them in a bacon and egg salad with a Guinness vinaigrette (see below). These pickled eggs will keep for months if placed in a sterilised jar. The recipe makes 3 spiced eggs but you can easily scale the recipe up. If making a larger quantity you don’t need to increase the amount of cinnamon or mace stated.

For the spiced eggs:
330ml Guinness
1 Scotch bonnet chilli, left whole and pierced in several places (you could substitute chilli of your choice)
1 cinnamon quill
1 blade of mace
1 whole black cardamom
1 star anise
3 hard boiled eggs (shelled)

For the Guinness vinaigrette (serves 2-4 depending on whether used for main course or side salad):
1 clove of garlic, finely grated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp Guinness
1 tsp honey
Squirt of lemon juice
¼ tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

Method
For the spiced eggs:
Place all the ingredients except the eggs in a pan and simmer until reduced by half. This will take about 20-25 mins.
Remove the spices.
Place the eggs in a beaker or jar and pour the liquid over them.
Cover and leave to steep for at least 24 hours.

For the Guinness vinaigrette (serves 2-3)
Place all the ingredients except the oils and salt in a bowl and whisk. Add the sesame oil and olive oil and whisk again. Add salt to taste.

Last edited:
Ah yes. A breakfast salad. Very cool.

Its interesting you see it as a breakfast salad. Not that I'm averse to Guinness for brekkie! It must be the bacon that influenced you but strangely it never crossed my mind as a breakfast.

Am I overthinking this? Possibly, as I have a blinding migraine right now... 🤯

Its interesting you see it as a breakfast salad. Not that I'm averse to Guinness for brekkie! It must be the bacon that influenced you but strangely it never crossed my mind as a breakfast.

Am I overthinking this? Possibly, as I have a blinding migraine right now... 🤯
I'm not aware of any rules mandating what one can or cannot eat for breakfast. You pictured a salad that had bacon and eggs as the main ingredients other than the greens. I think it looks great and I would eat it for breakfast with some orange juice on the side. Breakfast salad. Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom