Recipe Spices for Beetroot Pie

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
9:16 PM
It occurred to me that beetroot can have a similar texture to pumpkin, and since I like pumpkin pie so much, I began to mull over a recipe for beetroot pie.

I'm glad that somebody thought it up and posted a recipe first, though!

I'm not too sure about just swapping the veggie over and keeping the spices, though. Beetroot might have a similar texture, but I get the sense that it's a bit lighter and more subtle than the rather cloying pumpkin.

Ginger livens up the pumpkin a little, but might overpower or compete with the beetroot's natural flavor.
Cinnamon brings out the woodsiness of a pumpkin, but while it won't be bad for beetroot I also sense that it might be a little redundant or even (ironically) clash a little in the depth of its flavor.
Same with nutmeg.

I'm thinking of cayenne pepper sugar for beetroot, actually, in place of nutmeg or cinnamon (and with that sort of spice, ginger really wouldn't be necessary...) I'm trying to think up of a couple more... cloves could work well!

I wouldn't use cinnamon with beetroot, only if it was part of an allspice mix. Any type of hot red pepper or black pepper would be good with beetroot. If you want to keep it sweet then I think cloves, peppermint or lavender would be nice. I've never had a beetroot pie but I should like to try it.

I wouldn't use cinnamon with beetroot, only if it was part of an allspice mix. Any type of hot red pepper or black pepper would be good with beetroot. If you want to keep it sweet then I think cloves, peppermint or lavender would be nice. I've never had a beetroot pie but I should like to try it.

Ooh, great ideas, thanks so much!

I think tarragon would have a more robust flavor that would play against the beetroot better than mint. Lavender might be too mild, although I do generally like all kinds of purple foods a lot..

Back
Top Bottom