Spicy Celery and Chick Pea Spread
kik_b.png

Lacto-ovo vegetarian; contains dairy products and egg

Serves 8
Preparation 35-40 min

Ingredients

250 g celery stalks and leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
2 slices of bread/loaf (~12 cm x 12 cm x 1,5 cm)
2 eggs
2 shallots
3-4 cloves of garlic
100 ml milk
~1 teaspoon salt
1 tblsp sour cream
~2 teaspoons of unsalted curry spice mix

Garnish:

A handful of Parmesan shavings
A pinch of ground black pepper

Preparation

Mix the celery, lemon juice, bread, eggs, shallots, garlic and milk in a blender/mixer until smooth. Add the chick peas, chili, sugar, salt, sour cream and curry mix. Place 16 large spoonfuls of the mixture on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Cook in the oven (200°C, fan 175°C) for 20 minutes. Scrape/scoop the contents into a bowl, add two tablespoons of evoo (or softened butter) and mix. Spread on toast or serve as a side dish/snack. Garnish with Parmesan and a pinch of pepper.

kik_a.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent...another use for all the celery I still have in my vegetable drawer! Do you shave off the "threads" in the celery stalk before they go in the blender?
No, I just rinsed the whole bunch, discarded the utmost tips (apexes) and cut the whole bunch into large chunks with leaves intact. After blending and cooking there were no tough bits perceptible.

An interesting recipe. Did you miss something out - when do you add the chilli, sugar, salt. cream and curry mix? I'm presuming with the chickpeas...

An interesting recipe. Did you miss something out - when do you add the chilli, sugar, salt. cream and curry mix? I'm presuming with the chickpeas...
Yes, season to taste (in the text) means that add the chilli, sugar, salt, curry mix and sour cream at this point.

Ah - OK. I believe that in recipe speak 'season to taste' means add salt and pepper to taste. Maybe I'm wrong but that is what I always thought. :scratchhead:
:geek:I agree - my bad, sorry. I would have altered the recipe if it had been still editable. I hope these latter posts clarify the mistake.

No worries. I can edit it for you if you tell me what to add.
Okay, that's nice of you, Morning Glory. If you could replace the phrase "Add the chick peas and season to taste" with "Add the chick peas, chili, sugar, salt, sour cream and curry mix", the recipe would make more sense. Thank you in advance 🙌.

Back
Top Bottom