Recipe Spicy Coleslaw

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
11:16 AM
I have no idea why I decided to make coleslaw today. I cannot remember when I last even ate it!

Anyway, I made this today.

Ingredients

¼ Cabbage
¼ Carrot
2 tblsp Mayonnaise
2 tsp English mustard
1 tblsp Apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper

Method

Finely slice the cabbage and carrot. Chill.

Mix the mayonnaise, mustard and vinegar in a jug until smooth. Season. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the cabbage and carrot and thoroughly mix.

Serve cold.

And, by the grace of some god, I managed the mandolin with all my extremities intact.

Your coleslaw looks more interesting than the average coleslaw! Due to may intolerance I can't eat it but I do occasionally make a version using yoghurt instead which besides anything else, saves a shed load of calories.

I make it regularly, but carrot cabbage and onion. Finely chopped. Then I use bests mayo and some 1000 island dressing as well. The sweetness of the 1000 island dressing makes it really yummy. Everyone comments on my coleslaw. I discovered it when I only had a wee amount of bests on hand and decided to add the other to make it moist.

Russ

I have no idea why I decided to make coleslaw today. I cannot remember when I last even ate it!

Ingredients

¼ Cabbage
¼ Carrot
2 tblsp Mayonnaise
2 tsp English mustard
Salt and pepper

Method

Mix the mayonnaise, mustard and vinegar in a jug until smooth. Season. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the cabbage and carrot and thoroughly mix.

Serve cold.

And, by the grace of some god, I managed the mandolin with all my extremities intact.

That looks really good. I might have a go at that over the next couple of days - I suspect it would go really well with some T-bone steak I’ve got my eye on.

I've nor been anywhere near coleslaw for several years now, not since I had a particular nasty altercation with it (I think it was off. Either that, or the turkey slice that was in the sandwich at the same time :speechless: )

Ingredients

¼ Cabbage
¼ Carrot
2 tblsp Mayonnaise
2 tsp English mustard
Salt and pepper

Method

Serve cold.

Wheres the spice?

Wheres the spice?

I did think the same but I concluded it must be the English Mustard which is very hot. I'm not sure if you can get the really hot English Mustard in the US. There are types of English mustard sold which aren't very hot but the classic Coleman's is. 2 tsps added to 2 tbsps of mayo would pack a punch!

I'll leave @Yorky to respond.

Last edited:
I did think the same but I concluded it must be the English Mustard which is very hot. I'm not sure if you can get the really hot English Mustard in the US. There are types of English mustard sold which aren't very hot but the classic Coleman's is. 2 tsps added to 2 tbsps of mayo would pack a punch!

I'll leave @Yorky to respond.

Yes, it's the mustard. Actually McGarrett's English mustard (cheaper here than Coleman's or Keen's) but just as firey.

mcgarretmustard.jpg

[Edit: we have to go to Nakhorn Ratchasima to buy that (2 hours each way)]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom