Recipe Spicy Hawaiian Poke

caseydog

Local time
7:39 PM
Spicy Hawaiian Poke (Poh-Kay, like okay with a P)

Ingredients

1 pound sushi grade raw tuna
1/2 sweet yellow onion, sliced thin (not diced)
2 scallions, sliced thin (white and green parts)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TSP ginger, minced
1 TBSP sesame seeds, toasted in a hot skillet
1 TBSP peanut oil (or sesame oil)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 fresh cayenne chili peppers (or other hot red pepper)
1 TBSP honey
1 pinch of black pepper
1 cup Jasmine rice

Instructions

Dice tuna into half-inch cubes
Slice onions
Slice scallions, set aside for garnish
Combine all wet and dry ingredients in a plastic container with a lid, and stir well
Seal container and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
Cook rice, and let cool
Plate the poke over the rice in a bowl, garnish with scallions
Enjoy!

Poke001.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Yep, I could eat that every single day and be happy.

I totally agree! This looks amazing. There are different schools of thought when it comes to serving the rice: some say that it should be hot, so you experience the contrast of the hot rice to the cold fish. But, I have found that this lasts for a minute or two, and then the temperatures equalize anyway. The real experience here is eating delicious sushi-grade tuna with those flavorful seasoning. I am always looking for an excuse to include sesame oil in a recipe, but peanut oil works nicely if you don't want that flavor.

But, I'm wondering about the heat level with two cayenne chili peppers (unless they're used as depicted, as a cool-looking decoration).

Jalapeño can be a nice replacement for the Cayenne; its milder and adds a crisp texture.
Regarding rice, its best if you use room temperature rice so the fish doesn't start cooking from the heat.

I totally agree! This looks amazing. There are different schools of thought when it comes to serving the rice: some say that it should be hot, so you experience the contrast of the hot rice to the cold fish. But, I have found that this lasts for a minute or two, and then the temperatures equalize anyway. The real experience here is eating delicious sushi-grade tuna with those flavorful seasoning. I am always looking for an excuse to include sesame oil in a recipe, but peanut oil works nicely if you don't want that flavor.

But, I'm wondering about the heat level with two cayenne chili peppers (unless they're used as depicted, as a cool-looking decoration).

I cooled the rice so it wouldn't warm the cold tuna.

As for sesame oil, everytime I buy some, I use a small amount, and put it in the fridge. The next time I want to use it, it is rancid, and I have throw it away and buy more, which I will have to throw away a few months later. There is such a small amount of oil in poke, that many recipes I saw seem to go with canola (for the same reasons I mentioned), and I figured peanut oil would have somewhat of an Asian flavor.

I looked at a lot of recipes and YouTube videos, and they were all different. So, I picked the most common ingredients, and mixed and tasted until I liked it.

CD

Spicy Hawaiian Poke (Poh-Kay, like okay with a P)

Ingredients

1 pound sushi grade raw tuna
1/2 sweet yellow onion, sliced thin (not diced)
2 scallions, sliced thin (white and green parts)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TSP ginger, minced
1 TBSP sesame seeds, toasted in a hot skillet
1 TBSP peanut oil (or sesame oil)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 fresh cayenne chili peppers (or other hot red pepper)
1 TBSP honey
1 pinch of black pepper
1 cup Jasmine rice

Instructions

Dice tuna into half-inch cubes
Slice onions
Slice scallions, set aside for garnish
Combine all wet and dry ingredients in a plastic container with a lid, and stir well
Seal container and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
Cook rice, and let cool
Plate the poke over the rice in a bowl, garnish with scallions
Enjoy!

View attachment 71645

CD
CD which tuna did you use.

Interesting. I've made lots of raw tuna dishes but not a poke. I'm certainly not going to get into a discussion about who's right or wrong about whether the rice should be hot or cold, but I believe this should only be served cold. Personally considering it's Hawaii I'd probably add slivered coconut and I would also add a herb, probably cilantro and probably turn up the heat a little by adding more cayenne peppers, maybe some sea salt. The quality of the soy and sesame oil would be paramount and if possible use the highest quality available. Love this and will be making it soon.

CD which tuna did you use.

Interesting. I've made lots of raw tuna dishes but not a poke. I'm certainly not going to get into a discussion about who's right or wrong about whether the rice should be hot or cold, but I believe this should only be served cold. Personally considering it's Hawaii I'd probably add slivered coconut and I would also add a herb, probably cilantro and probably turn up the heat a little by adding more cayenne peppers, maybe some sea salt. The quality of the soy and sesame oil would be paramount and if possible use the highest quality available. Love this and will be making it soon.

The package did not say. It looked like Ahi, but I really can't say, for sure. It was sushi grade, and I bought it still frozen so I would have some flexibility in timing. In the US, sushi grade tuna must be frozen to -4F for at least 7 days to kill parasites, so there was no advantage to buying it thawed.

As far as I know, poke is always served cold.

My backyard grown cayenne peppers are HOT! I know better that to overuse them. :pepper:

People add all kinds of things to poke. I went with the stuff I like. My recipe could easily be adapted to personal tastes. I have a love/hate thing with coconut (like the flavor, hate the texture), and I don't eat soap leaves (cilantro). :laugh:

The soy sauce had plenty of saltiness for me, but a sprinkle of finishing salt may be just right for you.

CD

The package did not say. It looked like Ahi, but I really can't say, for sure. It was sushi grade, and I bought it still frozen so I would have some flexibility in timing. In the US, sushi grade tuna must be frozen to -4F for at least 7 days to kill parasites, so there was no advantage to buying it thawed.

As far as I know, poke is always served cold.

My backyard grown cayenne peppers are HOT! I know better that to overuse them. :pepper:

People add all kinds of things to poke. I went with the stuff I like. My recipe could easily be adapted to personal tastes. I have a love/hate thing with coconut (like the flavor, hate the texture), and I don't eat soap leaves (cilantro). :laugh:

The soy sauce had plenty of saltiness for me, but a sprinkle of finishing salt may be just right for you.

CD
In Ontario we can still get fresh tuna, but in British Columbia for example it must be frozen first. The dept of health tried to make it illegal to serve fresh raw fish in sushi resturants or the like and a coalition of Chefs in the GTA which is basically Toronto which I was part of and took the dept of health to task and eventually it was overturned and we still continue to serve it fresh. They could not prove that there had been even 1 case of food poisoning or a complaint.

I did a pop up at a local boutique distillery a few Sundays ago and used Ahi in a ceviche and it was lovely, nice texture, and it a decent price.

Back
Top Bottom