- 2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt

For the sauce:
- Coconut oil or clarified butter
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper or chili powder (I prefer the chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 50g tomato cut into small pieces or tomato sauce
- 1 can coconut milk without the water, just the cream (in the pic above I used the water for a "lighter" sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoon salt

1. Mix all of the meatballs ingredients and shape into meatballs.
2. Heat coconut oil or clarified butter on a pan. Fry meatballs until brown on the outside and remove from the pan.
3. Add garam masala, paprika, ground coriander, pepper or chili powder, ginger. Fry for 1 minute in low-medium heat until turned into a paste.
4. Increase heat to medium-high and add tomato. Let it simmer for 5 minutes until thick.
5. Add coconut milk, lemon juice and meatballs and cook until done.

Notes on this recipe:
* The original recipe included a cinnamon stick fried with the spices paste but I don't love cinnamon in these kind of dishes so I don't use it.
* Using coconut cream or not using the watery part of the coconut milk will produce a thicker sauce, but I don't like to throw away food and had no use for the coconut water so I added it to my sauce when I took this photo.

Happy cooking!

You may like to try my Rendang style pork balls. Make a few standard pork balls, Wizz everything in the first pic apart from the potatoes and anise into a paste. Fry the balls and the potatoes then add the paste and fry some more. Add coconut milk anise a few sliced chilies ( I like it hot so I add about a desert spoon of ground black pepper) and stock simmer till the balls are tender. Leave in the fridge over night. Reheat gently when required

Looking at the pic I first thought the greens on the bottom left corner were fresh bay leaves but on second look they don't look like that, can you help me identify what they are?

Back
Top Bottom