• 50ml olive oil
  • 2tbsp ras el hanout mix
  • 2tbsp harissa paste
  • 1tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1tsp paprika (not the sweet version)
  • Salt to taste
  • Coriander, Greek style yoghurt and sliced lemon for garnish
METHOD
Put all the ingredients (apart from the dates and preserved lemons) into a tagine or other lidded, earthenware pot and cook on a medium heat (160 deg C) for 1 1/2 hours. You could also use a slow cooker/crock pot. Check periodically, and add more water if it starts to dry out.
After 1 1/2 hours, check that everything is cooked through, add the dates and preserved lemons. Return to the oven for a further ½ hour. Remove from the oven and adjust the seasoning.
Decant into warmed bowls and garnish with the yoghurt, chopped coriander and sliced lemon.
Serve with Moroccan flatbreads, or if you c**k those up (yes, I did) pitta’s or chipatti’s will do just fine.

With all those spicy and tasty ingredients this is bound to taste good! The one thing that struck me was the long cooking time - I'd expect that if the tagine contained lamb for example but lentils will cook in far less time. Maybe it infuses all the flavours better?

With all those spicy and tasty ingredients this is bound to taste good! The one thing that struck me was the long cooking time - I'd expect that if the tagine contained lamb for example but lentils will cook in far less time. Maybe it infuses all the flavours better?
Actually it was the sweet potato that took the longest to cook. In fairness I probably prolonged the process by tweeking!

Back
Top Bottom