Recipe Spicy smoked sweet potato salad

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:01 AM
This is a recipe from Kelsey Nixon, a former Next Food Network Star contestant and a Food TV host.

Smoky Rub:
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Sweet Potato Salad:
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise, then sliced into 1/4-inch thick half-moons
2 teaspoons adobo sauce from chipotle packed in adobo
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 slices bacon
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard

Directions:

To make the rub, mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl.

For the potato salad: Over high heat, in a large saucepan, cover the potato slices with cold water, add a little salt, cover and bring to a boil. Cook until almost done, about 6 minutes. Drain potatoes, then place in a large bowl, toss with 2 tablespoons of the rub, drizzle with the olive oil and toss.

Cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until the fat renders and the bacon is crisp. Crumble.

Smoke the potato slices for about 10 minutes until just done.

For the dressing, in a large bowl mix together the mayonnaise, cilantro, mustard, adobo sauce, salt, black pepper and scallions. Add the bacon and the potatoes and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. You will want to serve this potato salad at room temperature or just barely warm to highlight the smoky spicy flavor.

NOTES: We didn't have a stovetop or grill top smoker box, and didn't feel like getting out in the rain to drive to the BBQ store to get one, so we made one out of 2 disposable aluminum lasagna size pans by placing a foil package of water-soaked chips (soaked about 5 minutes, holes poked in the package) in the bottom pan, laying a cake/cookie cooling rack across the top, placing the potatoes on the rack, then covering with another disposable pan. This is a 1-time use set-up as the pan on the bottom burned through in 1 place. It was placed on a gas single-burner unit that we use for crawfish/shrimp boils.

This was a little spicy for me, but the chili-head in our family loved it. I have a higher than normal tolerance due to the chili-head being part of the family so be warned. I will cut down just a tad on the spicy stuff so it will be more enjoyable for me to eat, as well as still giving him the spiciness he likes.

Also, this was a little too salty for us. The original directions didn't say to salt the water the potatoes were cooked in, but we did because, well, that's just the normal thing to do. So, I'm not sure if that's why it was a bit too salty or what, but we'll cut down on the added salt in the rub and the dressing next time.

I would also make only half of the spice rub mixture as there was A LOT leftover. Craig added some garlic and onion powders to it and used it on the chicken wings we made with this. You could also use the extra rub on fish or pork.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of sweet potato and I have intolerance of mayo - but this recipe does intrigue me and others here love sweet potatoes.

NOTES: We didn't have a stovetop or grill top smoker box, and didn't feel like getting out in the rain to drive to the BBQ store to get one, so we made one out of 2 disposable aluminum lasagna size pans by placing a foil package of water-soaked chips (soaked about 5 minutes, holes poked in the package) in the bottom pan, laying a cake/cookie cooling rack across the top, placing the potatoes on the rack, then covering with another disposable pan. This is a 1-time use set-up as the pan on the bottom burned through in 1 place. It was placed on a gas single-burner unit that we use for crawfish/shrimp boils.

Ingenuity! I could use my smoking gun I think.

This was a little spicy for me, but the chili-head in our family loved it.

No problem here! :D:pepper::D

sweet potato -> regular potato; mayo -> yogurt

Yes indeed! I often sub yoghurt for mayo - but when I make a recipe posted by a member I follow it faithfully (as far as I can given I can't get some ingredients) in order to report back. However, the idea of smoking potatoes in this recipe is giving me ideas for using regular potatoes smoked as an ingredient.

Honestly, between the smoke and the spice, it was difficult to even taste it was sweet potatoes. Something like a yukon gold potato would be a good sub.

Back
Top Bottom