Sprucing up your holiday leftovers!

Nothing much will have a problem getting eaten except for the turkey. The wife will have one sandwich later in the day and another one the next day, then I'll freeze the leftovers to throw away five months from now. :laugh:

Seriously, I may make a turkey pot pie; otherwise, to the trash it will go, round about Sunday.

We already had our Turkey left overs with our "practice Thanksgiving" earlier this month. I will be cooking the Thanksgiving meal for the family on the 28th and any leftovers will go home with the family members who don't live with us. No sprucing up on my part - what you see is what you will get as leftovers.

I love leftover turkey, but sadly we won't have any this year as we're not hosting Christmas :cry:
Turkey and stuffing sandwiches are a favourite on Christmas evening, or Boxing Day lunchtime (or both!) - they work best with ordinary sage and onion stuffing though rather than the the fancy fruit-flavoured ones you see a lot of around Christmas time. Some people like to put a bit of cranberry sauce in the sandwiches too.

After we've had our fill of turkey and stuffing sandwiches I parcel up the leftovers into two-person portion sizes and freeze them. One Christmas turkey usually gives us plenty of leftovers to use over the coming months.

My two favourite things are:

Turkey, ham and leek pie (we usually do a ham on Boxing Day so have plenty of leftover ham too). Put your chunks of leftover turkey and ham in a pie dish. Sweat your leeks in butter, then add when they're soft add flour to make a roux and then add milk to make a creamy sauce (if you have some leftover double cream in the fridge then this will make it extra luxurious). A spoonful of mustard is also a nice addition. Pour the sauce over your meat, mix together and chill. When the filling is cold top the pie dish with a puff pastry lid and bake in the oven until puffed up and golden.

Turkey julienne: this is a recipe from my mum's old Good Housekeeping cook book (the original used chicken, but it works just as well with turkey). Make a basic roux and add chicken stock and a little milk to make a sauce. Add cheddar cheese, rosemary and a splash of lemon juice, remove from the heat and the leftover turkey/chicken. Put the mixture in an oven-proof dish, cover and bake for 30 mins or so. Serve with rice.

It's not my turkey, so I probably don't have a say. Although they may let some of it come home with us...

Normally, I like a casserole of leftover turkey, stuffing, and veggies (NO sweetened sweet potatoes, please),
topped with melty cheese.

Making stock is also good.

Back
Top Bottom