Square (Cubed) Eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:44 AM
You might well ask why you would want a square egg. There are one or two reasons. Firstly, kids love them and and any guests you have will be amused. Imagine those square Scotch Eggs or Square Devilled Eggs on a buffet table. Secondly, they fit nicely into a square slice of bread for a sandwich. Thirdly, they are fun, quick and easy to make with a cheap little gadget.

I bought the gadget for a £4.99. Its very simple to use and no problem to clean. Can I persuade you?

The gadget:

71gp-tu4s4L._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg

And here is my little piece of square egg art:

fullsizeoutput_44c1.jpeg

Oh - and I discovered how to cut hard-boiled eggs without 'dragging' the yolk... :happy:

Last edited:
You might well ask why you would want a square egg. There are one or two reasons. Firstly, kids love them and and any guests you have will be amused. Imagine those square Scotch Eggs or Square Devilled Eggs on a buffet table. Secondly, they fit nicely into a square slice of bread for a sandwich. Thirdly, they are fun, quick and easy to make with a cheap little gadget.

I bought the gadget for a £4.99. Its very simple to use and no problem to clean. Can I persuade you?

The gadget:

View attachment 23403

View attachment 23402

Oh - and I discovered how to cut hard-boiled eggs without 'dragging' the yolk... :happy:

Pray, tell more

Russ

The gadget:

View attachment 23403

View attachment 23402

Oh - and I discovered how to cut hard-boiled eggs without 'dragging' the yolk...

May I ask what you do with the white parts that are shaved off? Do you eat them or throw them away? Very unusual!! They look like big dice without the dots!! Hah!! :wink:

May I ask what you do with the white parts that are shaved off? Do you eat them or throw them away? Very unusual!! They look like big dice without the dots!! Hah!! :wink:

You don't shave the white off - the gadget compresses the hard boiled egg into a cube shape. :)

Pray, tell more

Russ

You mean how to cut a hard-boiled egg without messing the yolk? Easy - although I confess I have only tried it once (for the photo above) so perhaps I was lucky. I used a thread of cotton (as you would a wire cheese slice). Try it and see if it works for you.

I'm surprised they don't make molds for square eggs like the egg shaped ones I've seen on commercials for use in the microwave.

Re cutting, you mean like you cut cinnamon rolls, where you slip the thread or dental floss underneath then cross?

Re cutting, you mean like you cut cinnamon rolls, where you slip the thread or dental floss underneath then cross?

I've never cut cinnamon rolls like that so unsure what you mean (although I have made cinnamon rolls). I just held the thread across the top of the egg (an end of thread in each hand) and sliced down. Easier with a square egg as the egg doesn't slip. I haven't tried it with a normal shaped egg!

If you wanted skinny even slices, my Tomato slicer might do the trick. I use it often to slice a variety of foods. The square egg slices would be unique-looking on a square cracker as an hors d'oeuvre.

If you wanted skinny even slices, my Tomato slicer might do the trick. I use it often to slice a variety of foods. The square egg slices would be unique-looking on a square cracker as an hors d'oeuvre.

Yes - if its a thin wire cutter I'm sure it would work.

Back
Top Bottom