Recipe & Video Squid Ink Ravioli with mascarpone and shiitake mushrooms (video)

Have you made ravioli before?

• No, and they are too much trouble.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cinnamonita

Local time
12:13 AM
So I'm a big fan of home made ravioli. I love the classic butternut squash variety, or an italian sausage kind of filling. I'm especially entranced by black squid ravioli, so I put together a recipe that I hope checks all the boxes for texture, flavour, and aesthetics for folks who like to put some TLC into their pasta.

RECIPE
Servings: 4 meal servings, or 16+ small appies.
Uses pasta maker.

Squid Ink Pasta Dough

2 1/2 Cups "00" Flour (or substitute all-purpose white flour)
1/2 tsp Salt
4 Eggs (large)
2 tbsp Squid Ink (you can find this at a gourmet food store or seafood deli)

Ravioli Mascarpone Filling

375g Mascarpone cheese (1 cup + 2 tbsp; reserve about 2 teaspoons for plating)
100g Shiitake Mushrooms (or one heaping cup)
1/4 tsp Salt (or to taste)
Pepper (to taste)

Garnish

1/4 Cup Pine nuts
Minced Parsley

Crispy Squid Tentacles

1/2 Pound Baby squid tentacles (as much as possible, procure tentacles rather than body)
3/4 Cup Water
3/4 Cup Rice flour
Salt To taste
Pepper To taste
1 Cup Corn meal
Oil For deep frying (vegetable or peanut oil)

Garlic Lemon Butter Sauce

3 Cloves garlic
1/2 Cup Butter
2 Tsp Lemon juice

INSTRUCTIONS
Pasta Dough

- Preheat the oven to 400˚ F.
-Add flour, salt, eggs, and squid ink to food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Process it for 30-60 seconds, stopping when the mixture appears thoroughly mixed, or comes together into a ball.
-Dust a kneading surface with flour, and knead the dough for 2-3 minutes. Pat a teaspoon of oil onto the dough, wrap it, and let rest for 20 minutes.

Mascarpone Filling

-Slice shiitake mushrooms into small pieces. Place them on a pan, lightly coat with olive oil, season, and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
-Once roasted, mix the mushrooms with the mascarpone cheese in a bowl. Season it with salt and pepper—don’t be afraid to taste it to check for salt content (—you’ll probably be adding up to ¼ tsp of salt and as much pepper as you desire).

Lemon Garlic Butter Sauce

-Finely mince the garlic, and season with salt.
-Melt the butter in a pan at medium heat. Add garlic, stirring occasionally until it just begins to toast (about two minutes). Add the lemon juice, and pour into a heat-safe container.

Toasted Pine Nuts

-Using the same pan, add the pine nuts, season them, and stir them frequently over the heat.
-Remove pine nuts from pan when they start to look golden brown. Allow them to cool on a plate.

Crunchy Squid Tentacles

-Heat a few inches of deep-frying oil in a pot to 350˚ F.
-Whisk rice flour together with the water, and season it well with salt and pepper.
-Place corn meal in dredging bowl.
-Slice tentacles off of squid bodies. Slice the bodies into uniform strips.
-Coat squid in rice flour batter, and then dredge in corn meal.
-Fry the squid just until it begins to turn golden brown and crispy. Scoop it out with a slotted spoon, and season it right away.

Ravioli Assembly

-Take one third of the dough, wrap the remainder and set it aside.
-Roll dough into a fat rectangle, and set pasta maker on the widest setting. Run it through once, then fold the pasta in three like a business letter, and run it through on the same setting three times. You may need to trim the dough if it gets too wide to fit.
-Start narrowing the pasta maker with each run-through with the dough. Repeat until the dough is just thinner than 1/16th of an inch—usually the second-to-last setting on your pasta machine.
-Brush ravioli frame thoroughly with olive oil, and lay one sheet of pasta over it. If you have one, use the plastic frame to create tiny little pockets for the mascarpone filling to go into.
-Tuck 1-2 tsp of that mascarpone filling into each ravioli crater. Draw wet lines around each ravioli.
-Trim the excess dough off around the ravioli maker and add a new layer fully covering the top. Use rolling pin to slice through the pasta dough and create ravioli. Shake to remove from frame.
-Bring salted water to almost a boil, and cook ravioli for 3-4 minutes, until al dente. Drain thoroughly.

Plating: Dinner 4 People

-This recipe serves 4 a fair-sized meal about 12 ravioli each. Drizzle pasta servings with garlic lemon butter, dot with mascarpone filling, and add crunchy squid, pine nuts, and parsley on top.

Plating: Appetizers for Many

-This receipe serves up to 16 people small appies, or you can serve a few and freeze the rest of the ravioli flat on a tray before transferring them to a box).
-Smear garlic lemon butter on a plate, and place three ravioli in parallel on the plate. Add 3/4 tsp of mascarpone on top of each ravioli, and top with one squid tentacle each. Add pine nuts, sprinkle with parsely, and drizzle garlic lemon butter on top.

View: https://youtu.be/xTtAB_HE0xM

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I forgot to add the recipe—sorry folks! I was trying to edit the original post but... I don't see the edit button. In the meantime, here it is:

[Mod.Edit - added recipe to top post for you (MG)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I forgot to add the recipe—sorry folks! I was trying to edit the original post but... I don't see the edit button. In the meantime, here it is:

Thanks @Cinnamonita.

It might be because you are a newish member. I think there are time limits on how long after posting you can edit if you are new, The edit button is the first green button at the bottom of the post.

Ravioli in general? What are your favourite fillings?

We usually make crab, lobster or butternut squash stuffed ravioli. The crab and lobster are served with a red bell pepper sauce and the butternut squash with a sage-brown butter sauce.

We created a ravioli for a contest on another forum using butternut puree in the dough and stuffing was chicken marsala.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/butternut-squash-ravioli-with-chicken-marsala-filling.11433/

My wife @medtran49, made raviolo a while back.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/uovo-in-raviolo.12312/

We usually make crab, lobster or butternut squash stuffed ravioli. The crab and lobster are served with a red bell pepper sauce and the butternut squash with a sage-brown butter sauce.

We created a ravioli for a contest on another forum using butternut puree in the dough and stuffing was chicken marsala.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/butternut-squash-ravioli-with-chicken-marsala-filling.11433/

My wife @medtran49, made raviolo a while back.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/uovo-in-raviolo.12312/
Mmmmmmmm sage brown butter is the best.

I had a look at that marsala chicken ravioli and it looks really tasty.
Oh my god.... egg yolks in the ravioli!?! How fabulously decadent. I must try that.

Thanks @Cinnamonita.

It might be because you are a newish member. I think there are time limits on how long after posting you can edit if you are new, The edit button is the first green button at the bottom of the post.
Oh yes... I see the edit button on my individual response posts, but not on the main one so that must be it. Thanks for fixing it for me :)

I know! I want to try it too. Quail's egg yolks would be good...

I don't know if quail eggs would work as they are so tiny. You have to cook it long enough to cook the pasta, about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, and then you cook them another minute or so in the pan sauce, and those tiny quail yolks might get too cooked.

Back
Top Bottom